Spartans 2010!

It will be good to see them back on the field of competition.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good thing for New England area drum corps. Having another team back in the mix will help revive kids interest in actually marching open class corps instead of just kicking around in HS Band or doing nothing at home. I hope that there is now a legitimate 3 team mix-up with the Spartans from NH, the Citations from MA, and the 7th Regiment from CT.

I am hoping the citations have made enough of a name for themselves to bring in the kids on their own, i think!

A few years ago Spartans and East Coast Jazz both placed in the top three consistently while still really close to each other. Citations will be fine, with or without Lenny and Richard. They've made enough of a name for themselves that they can bring in adequate replacements. Maybe they won't be top guard anymore, but they'll still be finalists I bet.

On the other hand, there's no way the Spartans will come back exactly as they left off in 2007. I predict a top 8 finish but not a medal in 2010. :tongue:

With Lenny and Richard going back to Spartans; what is going to happen with the Citations - both staff and member wise? The Citations finally got their act together thanks to these two people; I hate to see what will come for the 2010 season. Does the Spartans even have any kids lined up? Don't get me wrong; I am glad the Spartans are back on the radar map..it is refreshing to see corps come back after being inactive --- but this whole Citations/Spartans sitatution is a tad out of control.

It amazes me that some corps are so tenuous that a couple of guys can make or break the corps. It doesn't sound logical to me. And it doesn't sound like the correct way to operate a drum corps.

It amazes me that some corps are so tenuous that a couple of guys can make or break the corps. It doesn't sound logical to me. And it doesn't sound like the correct way to operate a drum corps.

The kids tend to follow their instructors.

To me, it is nothing new or surprising. I see it in my own profession all the time. I am a professional software project manager. I see groups of software developers who are loyal to their project or program manager. When the project manager gets up and leaves, the entire team can leave with him. The bonds of personal loyalty can be that strong.

I only presume that there is a similar situation in drum corps. If a caption head decides to leave, all of his techs under his supervision will go as well.

it is good news for the Spartans to be sure.

Obvious questions that come to mind include:

1) What will they do for equipment, uniforms, instrument, and the rest of the items for which capital funds are needed? Was this equipment auctioned off, to pay for the original debt? I know that the meeting hall was sold off - but what about the rest of the gear? Was that sold as well? If so, how will it be replaced?

2) Will they attempt to bring back members from the 2008 season and prior, who are still under 21, or will they attempt to recruit entirely new membership?

Several of the kids from my son's high school went to march with the Spartans in 2008. Some of them may want to go back.

Obvious questions that come to mind include:

1) What will they do for equipment, uniforms, instrument, and the rest of the items for which capital funds are needed? Was this equipment auctioned off, to pay for the original debt? I know that the meeting hall was sold off - but what about the rest of the gear? Was that sold as well? If so, how will it be replaced?

2) Will they attempt to bring back members from the 2008 season and prior, who are still under 21, or will they attempt to recruit entirely new membership?

Several of the kids from my son's high school went to march with the Spartans in 2008. Some of them may want to go back.

1) As far as I understood when it was left off in topics here before when they were going through the whole bankrupt thing, they still had possesion of the equipment and uniforms. They sold the hall so that should have taken care of the majority of money in debt.

2) How would you go about membership? Would you really turn away from any route that could yield potential members? Why not do every avenue you have to gain bodies?

can this be closed? just wanted to get the good news out

Why close this topic yet? There hasn't been any flaming or crazy talk really? Do we need to close a topic when someone ruins it? Yes. Do we need to close every message that is posted that 'could lead to an argument'? No. Adults can have disagreements, hopefully this thread continues to be 'flame-free' so to speak.

Edited by wickedpissah