Best Russian Ballad

Hi Gang,

I need to come up with a Russian ballad for a band show I am putting together. We were going to use the Old Castle (SCV '86), but it is to slow. Thought I would put it to the brain trust on DCP.

Thanks!!

Shostakovich would be a good place to look. He composed Fires of the Eternal Glory aka Novorossisk Chimes. It's one my favs. Just for kicks, I transcribed Phantom's 93 arrangement, it most likely needs some work.

Here's a link to Phantom Regiment performing it for DCI Christmas in 1993 (Brass Only)

http://tinyurl.com/nyju82

Below is also a link to the Amazon.com page where u can purchase the original orchestration for 99 cents.

http://tinyurl.com/Amzn93

Hi Gang,

I need to come up with a Russian ballad for a band show I am putting together. We were going to use the Old Castle (SCV '86), but it is to slow. Thought I would put it to the brain trust on DCP.

Thanks!!

I want to say The Tsar's Hymn. I know, I know it's slow. Very slow. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay sloooooooooooooooow. But...

It might be slow enough to march straight time, double time and treble time with different elements of the band at the same time. That way you can have the jazz-running perc. and WW overtake the roll-stepping upper brass as they mesh with the goose-stepping low brass into a monster company front. I've always thought that was a way-cool effect.

Robert

Hi Gang,

I need to come up with a Russian ballad for a band show I am putting together. We were going to use the Old Castle (SCV '86), but it is too slow. Thought I would put it to the brain trust on DCP.

Thanks!!

Chris,

Even after all these years, I just do not feel qualified to tell *you* what to play.

I was going to suggest the above tune too!

(maybe "Lullaby" by Aram Khachaturian?)

(Finale of the Alexander Nevsky Suite?)

Dale Riebesehl

'86 SCV

'02 SCVAC

The Gadfly by Shostakovich - very nice ballad

"The Old Castle" from Pictures at an Exhibition is tasty. SCV played it in 86.