DCI 2001 dvds

I recently bought the disc for 7-12 because back then it was originally top 6 only. I have to compare, but did they just do a raw transfer from vhs tapes for 7-12?

They look and sound pretty bad for 2001 standards. I will watch the top 6 to compare, but wow, I found it to be a half-fast transfer.

Edited by ohbaby

I recently bought the disc for 7-12 because back then it was originally top 6 only. I have to compare, but did they just do a raw transfer from vhs tapes for 7-12?

They look and sound pretty bad for 2001 standards. I will watch the top 6 to compare, but wow, I found it to be a half-fast transfer.

I haven't actually seen the 2000 7-12 DVD specifically, but the DCI DVDs do not contain "DVD quality" video. By that, I mean that the video on the discs are compressed to a much higher extent than what you typically see in standard DVDs of movies. The higher compression means lower quality video. I assume they are using the higher compression in order to fit more material on to the discs. In my opinion, the video quality on the DVDs is not much better (if at all) than the video on the VHS tapes.

Agreed. I was really disappointed a few years back when I got my 1998 Legacy DVD. The compression was way too high. Drum corps is all about movement and motion - and there is constant mpeg2 motion artifacting in these videos.

I think putting 12 shows plus the extras on one DVD is too much. They should have used less compression and split each year across two DVDs. That would have cost more for them (and the consumer) so I'm guessing that's why they went with the one-disc route.

What we really need to push for are Blu-ray releases of finals, in 1080p.

I haven't actually seen the 2000 7-12 DVD specifically, but the DCI DVDs do not contain "DVD quality" video. By that, I mean that the video on the discs are compressed to a much higher extent than what you typically see in standard DVDs of movies. The higher compression means lower quality video. I assume they are using the higher compression in order to fit more material on to the discs. In my opinion, the video quality on the DVDs is not much better (if at all) than the video on the VHS tapes.

I have two of the Legacy DVDs ('89 and '99) and I have no issues with the quality. One thing I wish they had though, and I'm sure it's been mentioned but I can't find any Legacy threads (and the search feature is not working right now). I wish they included the finale retreat on them. Instead of putting the recap scores of every year on the DVD they could have included the retreat. It would have been a nice touch.