Most important stadium feature for DCI championships

What's your top priority?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Among these two choices, do you prefer that DCI championships are in a stadium that is:

• Open outdoors for natural drum corps sound, even at the risk of a rainout or miserably hot weather.
    • Enclosed indoors with air conditioning and a roof that can be closed when it rains, even if the sound will not be as good as it would be outdoors.
  2. 2. Which of the following is most important to you in deciding whether to attend DCI championships?

• Outdoors
    • Indoors
    • Great seats at a fair price
    • Located near where you live
    • Cheaply-priced beer

You know the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Well, being in an outdoor stadium and changing up finals locations wasn't a broken idea so why did DCI decide it had to "fix it"? Certainly not for the fans!! There are so many other things they should have spent this time and effort to fix.

Yes, they picked some bad locations previous to moving to the Oil Can, but (other than Orlando) we typically only had to deal with the bad location once or once in a great while. Even at that, while some had shortcomings, most of the previous locations did offer superior stadiums for sound and visual enjoyment (sure Buffalo has little to offer, but that's one great stadium to watch drum corps in - same for Orlando - and I'm speaking only of the sight and sound lines). Jackson is the only stadium I can think of that offered a worse viewer (again, sight and sound lines only) experience, on average, than the Oil Can.

If I remember correctly, the Cotton Bowl in Dallas had support pillars for the upper deck that blocked or partically blocked your view if you sat up under the deck.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, the Cotton Bowl in Dallas had support pillars for the upper deck that blocked or partically blocked your view if you sat up under the deck.

Franklin Field in Philly, too, way back in the 70s. But DCI's used a lot of nice stadiums.

THIS IS SO TRUE. Its amazing how quickly people change their minds after one bad experience. I see it all the time with customer service stuff. People would be begging for indoor finals if finals were ever rained out. (Wasn't Mass. a bit rainy that year and hot!?!?)

Yeah, you're right, we're a hard to please bunch and change our complaints on a dime. Remember the span of three years out of five or whatever when we had ties for first? Breaking that up became the first priority for many fans because they saw it as wimping out on the part of the judges. "I don't care what you do... throw a dart at a dartboard but pick a winner (as long as you pick my corps)" :laughing: And yes, it was ironic, but the weather for finals in Foxboro in 2005 had a storm-warning interruption (the storm didn't materialize) but it was Houston-humid for finals in Foxboro... this shortly after years that you'd figure would be more humid like Washington and Orlando were not nearly as bad.

Edited by Peel Paint

In-stadium telephone booth with Time Travel capabilities a la Dr.Who.......

THIS IS SO TRUE. Its amazing how quickly people change their minds after one bad experience. I see it all the time with customer service stuff. People would be begging for indoor finals if finals were ever rained out. (Wasn't Mass. a bit rainy that year and hot!?!?)

Keep it outdoors. I like the venue when its closer to the midwest and in an open area. Having a rotating basis would probably be better too, just too keep things interesting and stimulate the economy in more than one city. Its like the Super Bowl, it should rotate stadiums.

i dealt with the rain in Jackson, Boston quarters 94, every storm in Orlando and Rochester DCA prelims in 2006.

and i'd deal with it again

This past week I was out of town on vacation, and was sitting next to another vacationer........when we spoke, he told me he was from Indy. I mentioned that I was just there a few weeks ago for the DCI Championship.....I told him I like the town, and then when I started to speak about Lucas, I said "I like the stadium for comfort, but..." and he interrupted my sentence and stated, "sound sucked, didn't it".........I asked if he spoke to other drum corps people, and he said no, nor had he been to any show (he was not a drum corps person), but he said that he went to a regular concert and the sound was bad, and that many of his friends had been to concerts there, and all felt that the sound was bad...........I also read about an upcoming concert where it sounded like an artist was going to go to major lengths to try to at least improve it....good luck........to this moment, I still can't believe this wasn't checked out by DCI..............

GB