Jim Mason joining Madison Scouts

I think the "5 corps" refers to the "Combine West 71" (Cavaliers, Madison, Blue Stars, Troopers, SCV) that went on to form DCI. Not the original finalists.

Apologize for hijacking the thread, but let's see if we can get this right.

DCI was created in 1972 from the combination of the Midwest Combine and United Organization of Junior Corps. The 13 charter members of the organization were: Anaheim Kingsmen, Argonne Rebels, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Blue Rock, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, De La Salle Oaklands, Garfield Cadets, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers and 27th Lancers. Blue Rock and Sac never actually made it to a DCI Championship. Seven of the charter members remain in competition today.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program . . .

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, isn't it possible that Mr. Van Doren could work for two different corps in different capacities.

Mr. Van Doren has protegees and what better way for his methods to gain even more popularity is for him to work in a Staff Coordination role with one corps and a brass consultant with another. It can work.

Afterall, yes there is competition involved in all of this, but at the end of the day, isn't the teaching that can go on at this level of major significance as well? I mean imagine these opportunities these young people are going to get. Why limit this to one group of 75 horn players?

Good points one and all, but I believe they are all trumped by the fact that I don't believe any of the three corps he is working with will be competing with each other for the foreseeable couple of years. Could/will Scouts jump back into challenging for 12th? Sure. But even last season (08) when they were 12th and Stars were in finals for first time in a long time, I don't believe they were ever competing with each other. 07 either, when Stars were challenging for 12th and Scouts were not.

And Crown is just on another plane right now. I'd say a 5-year plan for Scouts is a good time frame. Even then, consider where either Stars or Crown were 5 years ago. I doubt DVD said, "I think I'll make elites out of two corps in 3 years each."

Besides, there are still some REALLY good corps in top 7 that would have something to say about Donnie's 3 corps having their very own little top 3.

OK, BigBadMadMan gets the soothsayer award. He was 3 years and 2 days early but he did predict this.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=1554654

Ok ok ok....I'll spill....

Madison's new director is Jim Mason....

of course, I have no way of knowing that and am in no way privvy to any "inside" information...it's purely speculation on my part. :P Sorry....

or am I? ^0^

no really, I don't know anything :P

or do I? :worthy:

haha...ok, I'll stop now... :D

I totally disagree. Cirque du Soleil would be GREAT at Mad Town!

Or Dr. Seuss. But I already suggested that for Crown. We'll see.

Glad to have you back, Mr. Mason. Only next time, do Adagio for Strings and School for Scandal when you program a Barber & Bartok show. :worthy:

Edit: Keep in mind my fellow UNT-ex Dr. Nick Williams prepared the SCV brass for what they accomplished this year...whale of a brass line! I would think keeping him on that brass line would be importante numero uno. You certainly won't get anyone better for a 15th-18th place corps. Great anchor on which to tether this corps on going forward. $0.02.

BTW way scouts used a lot of cirque Du Soliel music in 2003

OK...can I add one more drop of rain.

No- that's all I've had in my area for the last 2 days.

OK...can I add one more drop of rain. It seems to be diluting my kool-aid to a very light green color.

Was there this much hype when Sal was announced?

OK...now...to my bunker. :worthy:

No ofcourse he doesn't quite have the history that jim does with taking corps to championships as a director. Of course Sal as aguard designer and drill writer does have that kind of reputation.

I've always wish Mason would come back to Madison. All I can say now is that Madision is taking great steps to move in the right direction! If I was a young 18 year old looking to march, I would really be looking at Madison now. Madison is a great organization and with the right staff, they'll be hungry.

I've always wish Mason would come back to Madison. All I can say now is that Madision is taking great steps to move in the right direction! If I was a young 18 year old looking to march, I would really be looking at Madison now. Madison is a great organization and with the right staff, they'll be hungry.

Just feed em. :worthy:

I remember mentioning to a good friend (quite active in the activity) just a few years ago that it might be a good gesture to ask Jim Mason if he'd be in interested in a consultant position with a corps.

My friend's response?

"The activity has passed Jim Mason. When he was last in the activity, he was a corps director. He wasn't involved in design and teaching. What could he possibly bring to a corps now?"

I hope Jim proves a lot of people wrong. :worthy: