Cadets ( Hopkins )

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, however, seeing they are no longer affiliaed with the Holy Name church this may not be practical. I always liked the Cadets of Bergen County name myself.

Garfield!!! :worthy:

Just make it:

YEA! :worthy:

I almost think the AT CADETS is more appropriate now ..... but in all honestly, I would rather them keep the founding name then change back to being sponsored by whatever from wherever. There's a total lack of rooted identity in that situation.

I just hope that they continue to do what they do. A name is just that, a name. I marched one name, but consider myself a Holy Name, Garfield, and of Bergen County Cadet. So if they do or do not keep the name, I am just happy they are still able to field a great group of Cadets year in and year out.

the "holy name" thing was cool for the 75th year, but honestly after the way the church treated the corps when they decided to no longer sponsor it, i don't really think carrying their name is appropriate.

same with garfield.

and bergen county.

the cadets

is fine.

Th Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County from Allentown Pennsylvania

Th Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County from Allentown Pennsylvania

I like that name, it just rolls right off the tongue.

:worthy:

the "holy name" thing was cool for the 75th year, but honestly after the way the church treated the corps when they decided to no longer sponsor it, i don't really think carrying their name is appropriate.

same with garfield.

and bergen county.

the cadets

is fine.

I'm actually a tad surprised the Holy Name thing (including the song) has remained so powerful there considering how they were so unceremoniously dumped by the church back in the day. Including not allowing them to wear the classic Cadets uniforms for a year. I guess it's just a tradition thing, but I'm wondering if there was ever any movement amongst members or administrators to "retire" the song or formal associations with the HN Church in the years immediately following the separation.

I did find it interesting that it had become a yearly tradition for the Cadets to participate in the Garfield Memorial Day Parade each year, and every year when they passed the Holy Name Church, the corps stopped playing. I mentioned to a friend of mine on their staff one year when they did that about how cool I thought it was -- them paying respect to the HN church and all. He told me it was actually meant to be an insult, refusing to play a single note as they passed by because of how the church dumped them. How much actual truth there is to that, I don't know, but it sure is an interesting story.