Cadets ( Hopkins )

The church is still there, and they were not only aware, but a part of a couple events for the 75th Anniversary. I have no idea about compensation....I do know that the church leadership and congregation were very welcoming. Whatever arrangements were made were obviously more than acceptable.

However...they are hardly the only church that has the words "Holy Name" in it's title....I don't think it's like a copyright thing where the corps has to pay to use the name....in fact, originally the corps had the name because the church paid.

Peace,

CuriousMe

That's what I was thinking...surely this church doesn't own the rights to the phrase "Holy Name"????

Personally, I like the name Holy Name Cadets and hope they consider keeping it...but as long as the Cadets continue building on their amazing achievements this year of KICK ### IN YOUR FACE DRUM CORPS without talking, narration, or artistic prose I don't care what they call themselves.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was after the corps went to compete at Nationals against the wishes of the pastor, who had other ideas about using the resources the corps was using. They went to compete using makeshift uniforms and borrowed equipment ... nothing that belonged to the church. When they arrived home, instead of a welcoming reception they got the boot.

Thanks for the background which I never knew about.

Of course, the Catholic Church is not real good about having their authority questioned, even less so back in the day, so I can understand the tone of the letter.

While I'm personally anti-religion, I'm glad the Cadets have maintained ties to the parish and that both sides have allowed bygones to be bygones.

the "holy name" thing was cool for the 75th year, but honestly after the way the church treated the corps when they decided to no longer sponsor it, i don't really think carrying their name is appropriate.

same with garfield.

and bergen county.

the cadets

is fine.

The town of Garfield was not exactly thrilled with us when I marched, either. We had very few members from Garfield in the corps, so the town had no real vested interest in us.

Actually, doesn't GOD own the term 'Holy Name?' :unsure::blink::blink:

He sure does, but He seems to be working primarily with Madison at the moment . . .

(sorry . . . couldn't resist . . . I'll go back to a Madison thread if I can find one on the first page . . . ) :laughing:

Edited by msesq

Wow....hell of a way to open the letter..."Dear Former Holy Name Cadet"...nothing like being subtle about it.

And the "divine justice" line -- I understand it came from the church, but heavy handed much??

Yes, but bear in mind....these letters were evidently tracking down missing equipment, as the church already had most of the Holy Name Cadets' equipment and uniforms in their possession.

See, the split actually occurred a month before this letter went out, when the corps went to American Legion Nationals (August 30) against church wishes, wearing T-shirts and shorts as uniforms and borrowing instruments....thus, the church must have had custody of the equipment and uniforms already. The newly-named "Garfield Cadets" also appeared at the Dream contest in the temporary uniforms.

Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, or simply The Cadets, are all fine with me. The only thing I fear that they will be someday called is "a band."

Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen County, or simply The Cadets, are all fine with me. The only thing I fear that they will be someday called is "a band."

Or a choir :laughing:

Edited by martin84

quick story.... my HS band went to the maine state house to play the national anthem, the lady announcing us called us the lawrence high school choir, lol. back on topic. i think the cadets is great. keeps everything under one umbrella