Remember These Drum Corps Items In Popular TV Series?

Shirley MacLaine was Sweet Charity. Good show, lousy movie.

Yup, the movie was awful. But as I recall, it did have some corps-style choreography.

Which reminds me: This is a little off-topic, as it's not a corps on TV, but in the realm of early color guard design, there was a really neat wind-balloon sequence in the film, "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T," that just screamed color guard. And the film is from 1953!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one for "The Andy Griffith Show" appears in the episode entitled, "The Guitar Player Returns" (May 15, 1961). There is a scene where a drum & bugle corps appears playing a march as I recall (I think they may have referred to it as the Mayberry Drum & Bugle Corps). There is definitely a drum & bugle corps on the soundtrack, though I've never found out just who the actual corps was. I'm not sure if the group they show was actually a drum & bugle corps, (I haven't seen the episode since 2001) or a group of actors. Being that the show was shot in Southern California, the corps appearing on the soundtrack may have been one of the many L.A. area corps senior/junior that existed in that era. I guess it's also possible that professional musicians played genuine bugles on the soundtrack.

That episode of Andy Griffith was on TVLand within the last couple of months. My wife is a big Andy Griffith show fan, and has it on for hours at a time. There might be a episode list/schedule on thier website.

27 at the Winter olympics, of course. they caried flags and performed at the opening and closing ceremonies as well as took part in one art installment.

Oh Yeah, How could I forget 1980 I was there too :thumbup:

The Velvet Knights appeared as the "Tuckahoe Drum & Bugle Corps" on a 1974 episode of the CBS hit, "Maude".

Gentlemen: If you were a big fan of Adrienne Barbeau...yes, they're real!

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

From DCW ca 1978....

Captainkangeroo-2.jpg

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Always great to see Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans!

The New York Lancers were once on Sesame Street to help teach counting.

Brian:

The St.Paul Drum & Bugle Corps made a commerical for Shakey's Pizza in 1974? which aired around the Twin City area.

Chico