Madison Scouts Announce Jonathan Vanderkolff as New Visual Designer

This pretty well answers one of my points from the earlier Madison thread - I felt the guard for the last decade has been very uneven - some years really good, but most of the others a weak point for the guard. Even looking at old BoD reports from the turn of the century, they identified the trouble in attracting and training a large, top-flight all-male guard.

Hopefully, with JV in the fold now, that won't be so much of an issue. I bet this finally steadies the boat a bit for them.

Mike

Great having DVD in the mix.

But this is not a guaranteed top 6 fix.

Visual and major guard problems remain .

JVK will help but still need MALE guard talent who are not going to top notch corps.

STAR and Madison is NOT the perfect mix.

Kind of opposites. ?

no ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No TB, more than just a feeling. Nice hint, but a few other surprises may be coming............

I want to thank a certain unnamed person for making so little of this a surprise to me. I told this unnamed person if there was anything the org. needed from me this year in my capacity I would step up as much as I can.

I think the first order of business is to say this...

Alums...and yes...I made a call to a euph player in 2002 who switched back to mello in 2004. Yeah, I'm talking to you and others like you. Many alums have paid their annual dues already...but NOT EVERYONE. Get the scratch together, because you are going to want to support this effort.

Last year I think the figure was about $90K raised from alums. That is a pretty significant number. But, I think $120K is possible this year...from alums.

Last year I goaded some of you to give. Some of you gave just because of how much you disliked me. Well, maybe that will work this year...maybe it won't. But, regardless...the corps needs your dues. Now. Next year and for every year after that. Imagine what an extra $30K can do for the Scouts this year over last year. Imagine the opportunities this provides to the newest of your brothers.

And now think of the task set forth to this admin staff and Mr. Comnick. He was given a task to improve this corps and last year...competitively..he failed. It was admitted to me. The Board and the ED admitted the corps was not more competitive on the field. Yes, they had reduced the debt. It has NOT been eliminated, but it has been reduced thanks in part to the generosity of Madison alums. But, on the field, the corps failed to move upward and to continue with an appearance in finals.

So, did Mr. Comnick, members of the Board, etc., brood, sulk, shed a tear. Hardly. They implemented a plan and the timing was right for what we see unfolding in front of us.

They, the Admin staff, Mr. Comnick and the Board are doing their part. You see this in what is happening near the end of this week. They have shook up the whole table and put the off season focus squarely on the Madison Scouts. Now, how do we do our part. Let me share a couple of stories. One alum PM'd me yesterday. he is going to sell his motorcycle and give the proceeds to the corps. Someone is going to sell their artwork and give proceeds to the corps. Someone else suggested going back on his peanut butter sandwich lunch diet and donating what he would spend on lunch to support the corps.

These are tough times, no doubt. But, we surely all should find a way to help in funding what is going to be a new special era for this organization. I believe the current corps management is doing their part. It's now...our turn.

More thoughts on a Friday morning.

What a great time to be a Scout!

What a great time to be a Scout!

True - as an alum, current member, and ESPECIALLY as a potential member!

But, we surely all should find a way to help in funding what is going to be a new special era for this organization. I

:laughing::unsure:

MADISON ALUMNI web page.

maybe better to post there.

Edited by THE ORIGINAL