Field type

What type of marching surface do you prefer  

123 members have voted

1. 1. For rehearsals I preferred marching on....

• natural grass
    • astro turf (old school concrete with carpet on top)
    • field turf (new school "rubber fields")
    • a parking lot
    • other
  2. 2. For performances I prefered marching on...

• natural grass
    • astro turf
    • field turf
    • a parking lot (really? what show?)
    • other

Just curious what people preferred under their feet during a show/practice. Try not to associate this with an indoor/outdoor topic.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to go with field turf, because its consistently good. However grass can be the best if its shorter and very well taken care of.

when the parking lot is flat without light posts and pot holes it is definitely my favorite to march on. I don't think the guard particularly shares my sentiments.

For performances I always liked astroturf the best, fieldturf comes in a second.

I never liked marching on grass because most venues/schools don't maintain their fields during the summer time. Hidden potholes, long grass, crazy bugs, strangely positioned slopes, it's just too much for me.

Edited by kaplac

What ever the show is on for rehearsal but I'd pick field turf if I had to choose.

I always loved rehearsing on rough grass fields, because if you can start sounding good on a rough field with thick grass, then when you get on turf or smooth, short grass, its like marching on glass and feels amazing, and its so much easier to get through your show. Maybe its just me, though, since nobody else has shared that same sentiment in writing? I dunno...

If corps rehearsed on the crappiest, thickest, bumpiest grass they could find every day I guarantee they'd march better than anyone around them. So that's my preferred rehearsal surface.

Field turf's alright, but it's kind of sticky. I actually prefer old-school astroturf to that, but nothing beats nice, damp, short grass. And nothing's worse than Bristol, RI on a hot, humid night. Fortunately the grass has been wet the past couple of years, so it hasn't been that bad. But man will that grass kill you.

Edited by TSRTS13

If corps rehearsed on the crappiest, thickest, bumpiest grass they could find every day I guarantee they'd march better than anyone around them. So that's my preferred rehearsal surface.

I believe that's why BD has such great marching. Have you seen Mars? It's quite rough.

Grass just has too many variables (condition, wet/dry/slippery, uneven, etc..) Fieldturf is nice but those rubber pellets can really become annoying, plus it gets HOT on them. Asphalt can be decent, but i always found it really hard on the joints to be on it all day, plus if there happens to be a fall it can be really ugly. Went with old school Astroturf for both here. Dont mind Fieldturf for shows though.