Field type

What type of marching surface do you prefer  

123 members have voted

1. 1. For rehearsals I preferred marching on....

• natural grass
    • astro turf (old school concrete with carpet on top)
    • field turf (new school "rubber fields")
    • a parking lot
    • other
  2. 2. For performances I prefered marching on...

• natural grass
    • astro turf
    • field turf
    • a parking lot (really? what show?)
    • other

I like grass personally im used to it and its tradition, astro is just odd, and the rubber pellets make it squishy and it gets in your socks and shoes

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would prefer invesco field at mile high all the time, that field was awesome...

field turf is great to practice on, minus turf turds. for shows its nice knowing that you wont hit a random mole hole.

grass is good for shows if its well taken care of. see above statement. and on grass you dont have to wonder which hash you need to use, "tonight were using the inside taped hashes" or "remember this is a professional stadium were on the outside hashes", in theory they should only have the correct hash marks on the field.

and on grass you dont have to wonder which hash you need to use, "tonight were using the inside taped hashes" or "remember this is a professional stadium were on the outside hashes", in theory they should only have the correct hash marks on the field.

That depends on the state you're performing in. I believe Massachusetts and New Jersey use NCAA hashes, and every other state uses High School hashes. Being from MA it was always a pain trying to figure out which we were marching on that night.

Don't even have to think about this one:

FIELD TURF!!!

Not having to worry about random holes and rocks makes for a much more relaxed and worrisome rehearsal. Being a drummer though, parking lots were pretty fun to rehearse on as well!

I would take grass in most cases. Yes there are plenty of times where the field is just a mess, or has nasty bugs or is sloped at a 10deg angle etc. but in those cases I think that toughens you up. A few people before mentioned marching on really thick and bumpy grass and then switching to a nice field and how much better you got. Its sort of like putting the extra weight on a baseball bat while practicing and then taking it off and it feels way easier to swing.

Field turf does get extremely hot (which also toughens you up) and sheds all over you. But in the end you know you have a consistent field. I would take field turf next after grass.

Field turf is great, as long as it's not wet...then it gets slippery. Of course, so does regular grass.

So I voted field turf for both, but grass (as long as it's taken care of, short, no potholes, mud, etc) as a close second.

field turk. If a show has it and you practice on it everything from practice should be easy to fix. I have to say the grass I practiced on in SC was almost turf and it was amazing and comfy to lay on.

i liked grass for rehearsals, made it feel more real and didn't heat up like rubber does.

Went with astro turf for performances, those rubber beads in field turf always bugged me but if that was the only option for turf then I'd still take it over grass for performances. Idk why, I just felt like I marched better on turf, it was the stability and consistency. I like going into a stadium knowing that the field is in a condition favorable to a great performance in terms of (especially) visual performance.