Field type

What type of marching surface do you prefer  

123 members have voted

1. 1. For rehearsals I preferred marching on....

• natural grass
    • astro turf (old school concrete with carpet on top)
    • field turf (new school "rubber fields")
    • a parking lot
    • other
  2. 2. For performances I prefered marching on...

• natural grass
    • astro turf
    • field turf
    • a parking lot (really? what show?)
    • other

Heh, one of the smaller shows this year probably had the most ridiculous field I've ever marched on.

It was a field turf field without the pellets, the school just had the turf put in several hours before the show and didn't have time to finish up the job.

So the field the show took place on was basically 5-6 inch long vinyl "grass" where if you marched against the way the turf was lying it would be like marching in molasses. And when you marched along the turf it was similar to ice skating. Definitely the most interesting show that I remember marching.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go one step further. Time of day. I would never want to perform on astroturf at midday...ugh. Rehearse, either. Natural grass all the way. I imagine the turf/grass thing is the same way though I never marched on the stuff.

Rehearsal? Grass all the way. Much cooler and softer. Not as consistent as turf, especially on the practice field of some junior high school in the northeast.

Evening performance? Astroturf all the way. Much more consistent.

What does the Alamodome have? Carpet on concrete or something more substantial than that? Georgia Dome? LOS? Just curious.

All of the regionals had field turf if I remember correctly. The only field I recall having astroturf (carpet turf) was Buffalo, NY.

There may have been other fields outside of my touring schedule with astroturf as well, but pretty much every stadium has switched over to field turf now.

i love being in grass all day then getting to a show and marching on old school astroturf because it becomes 100 times easier to crank your technique and march well! (no resistance from the grass)

What does the Alamodome have? Carpet on concrete or something more substantial than that? Georgia Dome? LOS? Just curious.

I think its hard to find places with astro turf these days. Most everything is the new field turf. I know Almo has it and I'm sure LOS does. From the looks of it on t.v. the Georgia dome has it as well.

George Dome has FieldTurf

Alamo Dome has SportField

Lucas Oil has FieldTurf

sportfield and fieldtuf are essentially the same thing, but different brands

Yeah figured there were different companies making the fields. I just call it field turf in the end.

Yeah figured there were different companies making the fields. I just call it field turf in the end.

for me it's either grass or turf.

That depends on the state you're performing in. I believe Massachusetts and New Jersey use NCAA hashes, and every other state uses High School hashes. Being from MA it was always a pain trying to figure out which we were marching on that night.

The only state that I was aware of that used NCAA hashes for HS football was Texas. I could be wrong... i'm pretty sure NJ does not... unless my HS band would have had a lot of messed up shows since we learned our show on HS hashes.

Anyway:

Astroturf is the best to have a show on, but it's hard to find that stuff anywhere, it's just not safe for sports... it's a shame, because it rocks for us. Field turf is okay as long as it isn't brand new, and it is well maintained... IU's brand new turf last year was actually kind of thick, and was worse than some grass fields... I think the terds didn't settle or something.... best field turf... Salem HS, Salem VA... perfect. I would take well maintained grass over Field Turf any day... For rehearsal, turf is nice, but grass is great for making you stronger, especially thick, dry grass...

I have to say though, tour this summer had barely any grass fields. Only 5 or 6 shows with grass fields... none of them were that bad...