Staff Changes

Drum corps staff and instructors change frequently, and whenever a big name is announced it is always assumed that the corps will become much better due to the staff's track record.

So is this actually true? (I assume in some ways it helps recruiting because kids are drawn to big name instructors).

And more specifically: Has anyone here personally experienced a staff change in their years of drum corps that really made THAT much difference in your ability to perform, score well, and generally enjoy your time?

I really don't know. Scouts staff the last few years was stocked with people from BD/SCV/Cadets etc....and we all know how that went. Hopefully, this years Scouts staff will make a HUGE difference.

Drum corps staff and instructors change frequently, and whenever a big name is announced it is always assumed that the corps will become much better due to the staff's track record.

So is this actually true? (I assume in some ways it helps recruiting because kids are drawn to big name instructors).

And more specifically: Has anyone here personally experienced a staff change in their years of drum corps that really made THAT much difference in your ability to perform, score well, and generally enjoy your time?

Yes, corps that consistently do well have a great staff.

yes, they can make all the difference. God knows in my time as a member and then as an alum following the blue stars... there have been a lot of staff changes, and almost all of them resulted in that area getting fixed and getting better.

Some changes may take a little time to show their effect though, depending on how different the program is. Another key is that all the staff work well together as a package, and arent just good individually or as a caption.

Edited by alarson83

I would argue that finding the right staff mix and keeping them is what makes a successful impact. The Troopers are a good example. It is their second year with Dean Westman, Gordon Henderson, Ralph Hardimon, Mitch Rogers, and Daniel Wiles and look at the show design between 2008 and 2009. I can only imagine what this design package will deliver next year.

Another point worth mentioning is that i feel a consistent staff is really what makes a drum corps successful. Look at the Blue Devils. For the most part the educational staff has been the same an the design team has been the same for a while... and look at their success. Carolina Crown is another success story. They have had a pretty consistent staff over the past couple of years and they have been successful.

These aren't the only corps too, but a few off the top of my head

I would argue that finding the right staff mix and keeping them is what makes a successful impact. The Troopers are a good example. It is their second year with Dean Westman, Gordon Henderson, Ralph Hardimon, Mitch Rogers, and Daniel Wiles and look at the show design between 2008 and 2009. I can only imagine what this design package will deliver next year.

Another point worth mentioning is that i feel a consistent staff is really what makes a drum corps successful. Look at the Blue Devils. For the most part the educational staff has been the same an the design team has been the same for a while... and look at their success. Carolina Crown is another success story. They have had a pretty consistent staff over the past couple of years and they have been successful.

These aren't the only corps too, but a few off the top of my head

On the "for what it's worth scale"

An article from the Casper paper earier this month said that Fred Morris has already hired back the entire design staff team as well as all of the caption heads.

On the "for what it's worth scale"

An article from the Casper paper earier this month said that Fred Morris has already hired back the entire design staff team as well as all of the caption heads.

Yep. I read that, too. :thumbup:

I have a personal example of a staff change making a significant impact. Granted, this is from open class but I'll think you'll get the point.

In 2008, Spokane Thunder hired on a completely new staff for the 08 season. They kept some people from previous years but all of the major staff positions were new.

Well, in that one season, Thunder went from being an 11th place div 3 corps the year before to a seventh place open class corps in 2008. The corps also received the most improved award for open class. I know this isn't world class, but its a good example of what a staff change can do. And while I only marched in 2008, my brother marched in both 2007 and 2008; he could tell you the differences etc.

I have a personal example of a staff change making a significant impact. Granted, this is from open class but I'll think you'll get the point.

In 2008, Spokane Thunder hired on a completely new staff for the 08 season. They kept some people from previous years but all of the major staff positions were new.

Well, in that one season, Thunder went from being an 11th place div 3 corps the year before to a seventh place open class corps in 2008. The corps also received the most improved award for open class. I know this isn't world class, but its a good example of what a staff change can do. And while I only marched in 2008, my brother marched in both 2007 and 2008; he could tell you the differences etc.

The same thing happened in 08 with the Spartans and Citations. Most of the staff moved from Spartans to Citations and the Spartans went from 1st in Div II to 14th in Open, while the Citations went from 10th in Div III to 6th in Open.