92 BK

Its kind of funny how tastes change as you mature. (i have a LITTLE bit).

1992 was the first year i really knew was drum corps was. Like so many of my friends in my drumline, we prefered the "Notes" drumlines with a heavy snare emphasis such as that fantastic 92 Crossmen line or the Blue Devils who were (and still are my favorite) and of course, the Velvet Knights!

Also sitting on my top 12 cassette tape collection and my VHS video, was the Blue Knights.

We pretty much used to fast forward through that because it was "Boring" to a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds.

Now i am listening my ipod and just listened to 92 Blue Knights for the 3 straight time because its amazing.

What balance, creativity and fanstatic scoring in this show. Musical subtlety and nuance playing at its finest. Especially for back then! They used the pit so phenomenally! And of course, that battery.. SMOKIN!

Thats really all i wanted to say!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their 91 show seemed bright and full of energy, and their 92 program suffered in my eyes at the time because it was 1) darker and more subtle and 2) on after VK.

In hindsight, though, it really is a wonderful show, especially by modern standards - it's got more peaks and valleys than a lot of the shows did that year. And the brassline really has their act together - they put out a rock-solid product.

Yup - I'm a fan of this show - I think it was underappreciated at the time.

Mike

Its always amazing what little things you find change as you get older, or the product is heard more at a later date. I love going back to older shows to watch or listen to something I might have otherwise missed. I am usually glued to the percussion sounds, so to go back and just focus on the horns or guard or drill. Its all eyeopening and usually fun. Hope someone from 92 BK gets ahold of that compliment. :tongue:

For those who are wondering what the corps played in 1992:

Blue Knights (9th place-90.00)

Portraits of Aaron Copland

Billy the Kid - Aaron Copland

Corral Nocturne - Aaron Copland

Red Pony - Aaron Copland

Chorale and Shaker Dance - John Zdechlik

Edited by Michael Boo

For those who are wondering what the corps played in 1992:

Blue Knights (9th place-90.00)

Portraits of Aaron Copland

Billy the Kid - Aaron Copland

Corral Nocturne - Aaron Copland

Red Pony - Aaron Copland

Chorale and Shaker Dance - John Zdechlik

the coolest thing about this playlist is that the average drumcorps/band fan would see it, Roll their eyes, and procede to gag.

But the Knights really gave it a special treatment.

Now I just gotta find a video of it.