Sun Devils - on the Road to Rochester

We're on a bus! Got our swim trunks and our flippy floppies. We're on a bus, don't you ever forget. On to Jacksonville.

Edited by John M. Johnson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're on a bus! Got our swim trunks and our floppy floppies. We're on a bus, don't you ever forget. On to Jacksonville.

All right JJ!!! Looks like you guys are doing good time.

Well here we go - first time in Rochester - 2nd year drum corps.

The Sun Devils had a successful home show for family and friends this past Saturday. More fund raising was done as well as some 1/2 uniform run throughs to show everyone what a rehersal was like. Then a full uniform run brought many rounds of applause.

1958073.jpg

Now we head north at 6pm today - 24 hours (30 on the bus I hear). We are bringing our mittens. The refreshing cooler NY air will be a welcome relief from our heat & humidity. We're hoping that may also translate to even better sound. The members are excited to be a part of Championships and hope to show they have the stuff to hang with the rest.

1958078.jpg

Just a little history. A group of us met in late 2007 at Sarasota Military Academy and decided to start a drum corps. We were given bugles, drums, truck and some $$$ from another drum corps called Heatwave that had decided to fold. John Hoekstra was asked to lead the way as director. He was able to secure some volunteer staff with his connections in the drum corps community as well as add his own skills as a successful drill designer. Some of the rest of us joined the Board of Directors. Of course we had also had Alan and JJ. Sun Devils was born.

We hit the phones and internet to have an open house. Program Director Mark Cole had a show already to go called "The Last Samurai". People started to show up. We moved to Poinciana High School in Kissimmee for our drill work. Many people came and went. Some stuck.

We did the tour from hell on July 4th with 4 (or was it 5) parades in Baltimore and the first show in Manassas, Va. We had the worst bus drivers. I blew up 5 tires on the Yellow truck/trailer. ................Before the show we also housed with the Reading Buccaneers. While practicing, Bucs made very positive comments about our program. We did 1/2 show and got a 62.? right out of the gate. ( goes to show you how screwed up scoring can be as this years show and corps are way better...) Good start.... or so we thought.

We rehearsed the rest of the year but lost members. We did 2 Atlanta shows and barely had 35 members ( the minimum ). We were hanging by a thread. For the good of the corps financially we decided not to go to DCA finals. We thought it best to wait until the day we had a winner. Now with over 50 members that day has come. This is the corps that we had envisioned 2 years ago.

Good Luck Sun Devils in Rochester and

Leave No Doubt............

1958128.jpg

photos provided by Kharli Rose/Herald Tribune. Article to appear in Thursday's Sarasota Herald Tribune

I KNEW Hoekstra could pull this off!! Best wishes and safe travels to all of you!

It is 4am and about 3/4 of the bus is sleeping, except for the people right behind me. I think we are in Somewhere, GA. the scenery is gorgeous. Nothing but darkness and billboards. I just grabbed someone's foot because I thought it was my hat...awkward.

Say hi to all my friends when you see them! I guess that would be everyone...hmmmm....Say, "Keith Hall said Hello!"

It is 4am and about 3/4 of the bus is sleeping, except for the people right behind me. I think we are in Somewhere, GA. the scenery is gorgeous. Nothing but darkness and billboards. I just grabbed someone's foot because I thought it was my hat...awkward.

JJ...get some sleep will ya! :thumbs-up: See you in Rochester!

JJ...where are you guys? Been watching the site for updates. I still have 5 1/2 hours before my flight, but soon I am going to be taking stuff out to the car. I am packed and kind of ready. Should be getting into ROC at 9:30 this evening.

Southern Pennsylvania. Rollin on the turnpike and having a good time. We have a remote contol helicopter flying around the bus. Kinda cool.

Im pulling for you guys to take the whole thing! See you in Rochester.