Citations staff?!?!

theguy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure that no one is trying to fold, but yet at the same time, I'm sure that the Citations will still be around. Will they fold? probably not... Will they be the top 5 drum corps that they have became known as? Probably not. The citations will most likly pull through, and the Spartans will also most likely pull through. It is actually nice to see a corps come back from the dead, rather than another one die.

Best of luck to both corps this season!

Hopefully the Citations will continue to be strong in spite of the many staff who left while the Spartans climb back up in ranking. We did have a strong Spartans and East Coast Jazz going for a while there, so there's every reason to believe that New England can put out two top Open Class corps again. Best of luck to both.

Hopefully the Citations will continue to be strong in spite of the many staff who left while the Spartans climb back up in ranking. We did have a strong Spartans and East Coast Jazz going for a while there, so there's every reason to believe that New England can put out two top Open Class corps again. Best of luck to both.

Thirty years ago, The East Coast had nearly half of the active junior drum corps. Now it has perhaps 15%. See the 2007 DCW census for details:

http://www.drumcorpsworld.com/articles.cfm?ID=659

If the East Coast used to support over 100 junior drum corps, then I am sure today they could support 5 OC and 3 WC corps. Surely there is enough youth and instructor base, in this part of the country, to support at least 1-2 more corps. (If not, come to recruit in Texas! Everyone else is! I count 10 different corps that will hold auditions in Texas, including BD, Cavies, BK, Madison, and Bluecoats. Get your kids from the Lone Star State!)

I believe another outfit it trying to get started in Pennsylvania (I have seen other threads in this forum describing it.) Heck, why are there no junior corps in New York? It used to have the most junior corps of any state! What is happening there?

Thirty years ago, The East Coast had nearly half of the active junior drum corps. Now it has perhaps 15%. See the 2007 DCW census for details:

If the East Coast used to support over 100 junior drum corps, then I am sure today they could support 5 OC and 3 WC corps. Surely there is enough youth and instructor base, in this part of the country, to support at least 1-2 more corps. (If not, come to recruit in Texas! Everyone else is! I count 10 different corps that will hold auditions in Texas, including BD, Cavies, BK, Madison, and Bluecoats. Get your kids from the Lone Star State!)

I believe another outfit it trying to get started in Pennsylvania (I have seen other threads in this forum describing it.) Heck, why are there no junior corps in New York? It used to have the most junior corps of any state! What is happening there?

1. School ends way too late, sometimes as late as June 28 or 29.

2. People are burned out on supporting drum corps. Too many years of people going to that well.

3. The cost of living is insane and many cannot afford the costs of drum corps on top of that.

4. Bingo is dead. The no smoking laws killed the last successful games and the corps with them.

All I'm hearing on here is the same old excuses!!!! The truth is there has been alot of drum corps that have come and gone who have had bad management and have honestly put no effort into trying to fundraise and be creative about it and put the effort to find corporate sponsors.

As far as the belows examples:

1. School ends way too late, sometimes as late as June 28 or 29. A bad excuse, I see Jersey Surf, Raiders and yes even Boston dealing with that issue.

2. People are burned out on supporting drum corps. Too many years of people going to that well, just not true. No one has truly gone after the businesses and corporate sponsors except for Cadets maybe. I have talked to many in the business community who would have supported a drum corps just no one including corps I marched in, instructed or were involved in ever tried to pursue these fundraising options.

3. The cost of living is insane and many cannot afford the costs of drum corps on top of that,I agree cost of living is crazy but were all dealing with that. Look at California the economy is just as bad there and we have corps there so again a bad excuse that has been over used.

4. Bingo is dead. The no smoking laws killed the last successful games and the corps with them. Sorry in todays drum corps activity if your relying on only Bingo to fund your corps your not smart. Again 70's and 80's thinking. You have to be creative in how you raise funds.

Saying that I do think the activity has changed alot for the better. I think alot of the corps not with us anymore would still be around if the structure of

DCI and the activity as it is now was around back then.

All I'm hearing on here is the same old excuses!!!! The truth is there has been alot of drum corps that have come and gone who have had bad management and have honestly put no effort into trying to fundraise and be creative about it and put the effort to find corporate sponsors.

As far as the belows examples:

1. School ends way too late, sometimes as late as June 28 or 29. A bad excuse, I see Jersey Surf, Raiders and yes even Boston dealing with that issue.

This is legit for New York's lack of a junior corps DCI presence. I would even bet that there are very few high school age NYS students in any of the World Class DCI corps since May move in is not an option for them with school still in session. This was even a problem for us pre-DCI. When we competed against the mid-west corps in June and early July, they had a head start on us and we usually didn't catch up until August (at least we competed the entire month whch gave us a chance to peak). Boston is not a good example since most of their members are not from the northeast. I can't speak for Surf or Raiders.

This is legit for New York's lack of a junior corps DCI presence. I would even bet that there are very few high school age NYS students in any of the World Class DCI corps since May move in is not an option for them with school still in session. This was even a problem for us pre-DCI. When we competed against the mid-west corps in June and early July, they had a head start on us and we usually didn't catch up until August (at least we competed the entire month whch gave us a chance to peak). Boston is not a good example since most of their members are not from the northeast. I can't speak for Surf or Raiders.

This is essentially the same schedule that Tennessee uses. Music City, a new outfit out of Nashville, faced the same dilemma. How did they cope with it? They essentially did move-in after the end of school in June, and started their tour in July. They didn't perform their first show until July.

Obviously, this isn't the optimal situation, but it certainly worked for them - they nearly made finals in their first year of competition. They improved rapidly over the last 2 weeks of the season, and nearly made it. (Much of their recruiting base was kids who had graduated from high school, so this certainly helped as well.) I am betting that they are in OC finals next year.

So these issues can be overcome, with enough sacrifice and effort.

Hmmm. Guess that means there really is no loyalty, devotion, love and all the other descriptive words that are associated with drum corps up in the northeast . . . sad.

Hang in there Citations.