Odd things in judging the last decade

Trooper 09-A great show from Troopers, probably my favorite of theirs since the late 80's. Nowhere near top 12 level thought. I was really wanting them to make finals, but didn't think they deserved it. Colts, Scouts and Academy were all better. I thought they were more on the level of Spirit and Crossmen.

Isn't it weird to support a corps that has been in the bottom of the bottom competitively until recently?

I mean, i thought their show was higher in difficulty and they achieved it very well. Colts and Academy had great performances, but their shows were easy. Colts had a show about water and had nautical themed visual elements. They seemed to have stood still a lot as well. Academy had great musical selections, but they were all from recent shows from the most part. Their opener was used in two 2005 shows (Troopers and Carolina Crown?) and their closer was the opener from BAC 2008. Great adaption of the tunes, but how about some variety or some different musical selections? Now to counter people with their "well the Troopers played WSS and so did the Cadets" here is my opinion, the Troopers originally selected those tunes to be worked into their show, where as the cadets decided to abandon a Bernstein show to all WSS. In addition to the music they stood a lot as well. I feel that the Troopers moved a lot, maybe it hurt them a little in cleanliness, but they definitely upgraded from their 2008 show design. At the Top 12 level i feel it is more about show design and GE than execution. Maybe the colts and academy were cleaner, but their shows were weak from a design stand point. Water, boats, fish flags, i get it. I don't have a connection. And academy, i have no idea what their show was about. A lot of their drill reminded me of the cavalier's drill from this past season.

... also i'd like to note that the Troopers score were one of the few corps to drop score every single show at finals. From an 86.050 to an 85.9 to an 85.1. They had great performances each night and it wasn't a huge margin of victory over the colts, but they did it. The true task is repeating it next year to ensure that it wasn't a fluke.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... also i'd like to note that the Troopers score were one of the few corps to drop score every single show at finals. From an 86.050 to an 85.9 to an 85.1. They had great performances each night and it wasn't a huge margin of victory over the colts, but they did it. The true task is repeating it next year to ensure that it wasn't a fluke.

The 12th place corps will almost always have a score drop on finals night. at least from what all I've seen. Just like in the old afternoon/night show format for Atlanta and San Antonio, as well.

Isn't it weird to support a corps that has been in the bottom of the bottom competitively until recently?

I mean, i thought their show was higher in difficulty and they achieved it very well. Colts and Academy had great performances, but their shows were easy. Colts had a show about water and had nautical themed visual elements. They seemed to have stood still a lot as well. Academy had great musical selections, but they were all from recent shows from the most part. Their opener was used in two 2005 shows (Troopers and Carolina Crown?) and their closer was the opener from BAC 2008. Great adaption of the tunes, but how about some variety or some different musical selections? Now to counter people with their "well the Troopers played WSS and so did the Cadets" here is my opinion, the Troopers originally selected those tunes to be worked into their show, where as the cadets decided to abandon a Bernstein show to all WSS. In addition to the music they stood a lot as well. I feel that the Troopers moved a lot, maybe it hurt them a little in cleanliness, but they definitely upgraded from their 2008 show design. At the Top 12 level i feel it is more about show design and GE than execution. Maybe the colts and academy were cleaner, but their shows were weak from a design stand point. Water, boats, fish flags, i get it. I don't have a connection. And academy, i have no idea what their show was about. A lot of their drill reminded me of the cavalier's drill from this past season.

You typed a lot of things that have nothing to do with scoring. I cant believe such a post would occur on dcp

What?

And academy, i have no idea what their show was about. A lot of their drill reminded me of the cavalier's drill from this past season.

Have you not been following The Academy and their journey from 2004 till now? When they announced their show, I thought it was pretty easy to understand what it was about. "The Ascent"

But maybe it is difficult for some people to understand what The Ascent means for The Academy. It's not like they were trying to Ascend into the top 12 or anything right?

getting a perfect 20 in guard when you drop a member.

All the judge told us was that BD was AT LEAST 0.3 better than HNC on that night (19.7 --> 20.0). Would you complain if HN received 19.5 and BD 19.8? All you would see is the spread (and you didn't argue that at all). If you're going to complain about a 20, the initial blame lies in Troopers' 12th place 16.9 for being too high. The fine line between rewarding achievement and attaining the correct spread requires more training and experience than almost everyone on this board has. I'll never agree 100% with judging, but to outrank them, one must take their job.

And, in a decade where it seems as if 'perfect' scores are given out rather frequently...Cadets not getting a 'perfect' anything at Finals 2005.

Yet they achieved what NO corps has ever done in DCI history: they scored first in every single sub-subcaption. Although impossible to compare the 99.15s between 2002 & 2005, Cavies "weakness" was a 3rd place drum finish, so however good that show was, stand the drumline next to 2002 Cadets' (and SCV's) and there it is. And not to split hairs, but if Cadets benefitted from ONE drum judge in 2005 like Cavies did in 2002, given the scores, Cadets would have hit 99.2. If you do the math, that second drum judge brought down their score by 0.05.

Edited by Swine