A little advice?

As an athletic/physical trainer and a vet of Drum corps, I would agree with those that said swimming. As well as holding your horn the right way (flat back, horn at least parallel, shoulders low, elbows even, etc.) while playing or listening to music. If you could find a mirror or reflaction in a window while doing this, that always helps. Also being that your back and shoulder blades, as well as a little bit of the shoulder itself, will be doing most of the work try getting a wieght near the baris wieght and extend your arms straight. Then in a CONTROLED MOTION move your straight arms from flat in front of you to straight and down towards the ground then back up. AND/OR you could just hold that weight in front of you. Overtraining helps wonders.

Any questions just ask!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to get good at holding your horn up is to do just that. Hold your horn up. Try this - get a horn, and time yourself to see what's the absolute longest you can hold it. Then, the next day (or maybe try every other day), hold it for that long again, but add on 10 seconds. Continue to add on and add on, and you should be pretty solid come November.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Too true. Do this. And since timing yourself can become monotonous, not only time yourself but listen to music or watch tv as you do it. The first few minutes suck, but after consistent efforts, you'll get stronger/better at it. It's the only way. For those of us who did hold up baritones/euphs, if you don't do it in the winter, you'll do it in the summer when there's no choice. :devil:

Just remember when you're building up that you set goals for yourself. Like today, I'm going to not break for 5 minutes... etc. You need to have a good posture as you hold it too and not breaking constitutes as not shifting your hands to distribute weight better.

Start small... either just the baritone (if it's a baritone that's like...4-6 pounds) or lighter and hold it up. Look yourself in the mirror. If you can't get a horn, just get a free weight and hold it out.

hold it up while you watch your favorite drum corps show

Water key water key water key.

When it gets heavy, just pretend you're emptying your water key ("spit valve" if you prefer) and give your shoulders a breather.

AND NO ONE WILL BE THE WISER.

Because you get so much water in your horn while not playing in a visual block.

At the OP....simple....switch upper brass! (plus, if you play trumpet or sop, you can actually see where you're going!)

You could've easily gone a few miles north, y'know! :thumbup:

Actually, Sam, I nearly did...I auditioned for the A-corps on Euph in Dec '80 and made it, but I didn't have a car to make the monthly camps from Southern Cal as I had ridden up with someone else for the audition. Had I had a vehicle of my own, my DC career would have taken an entirely different direction and we would likely have marched with each other, and not against! :)

Anyway, sorry for the brief hijack-- back to our regularly scheduled programming!