DCA Finals Brief Thoughts...

Loved Brass' show. It was the first time I had the opportunity to see them and I thought it was fantastic. As far as the rest of it I'm keeping my comments to myself. It is better that way.

i know what you mean, but then again..........................................

Drum Corps Assassins

strike again!!!! :thumbup::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great show all around. It was my wife's 1st DCA show (but she's very familiar with DCI). She called some placements better than I :thumbup: Even though she's a guard person, she said she really liked Hurcs Drumline...and she really enjoyed Alliance and Brigs shows...

I do have a question...although I'm a Buccaneer alum (and vey proud they won again)...and for the last few years I've always thought MBI was underscored..so it's nice seeing them up there again...but my real question...and I've thought this for the past few years. Nothing against any other guard, because there were some great guards out there, but why doesn't Bush win guard. I thought they were amazing..did the judges really see them that much lower then the other guards...or is it that a 9th place corps can't win guard. I've just never understood why they don't place higher. What am I missing?

Point of history...if I recall correctly...when I marched Bucs, the Matadors were cleaning up in guard all season. They did not make finals as a full corps, but DCA let them compete so that their guard could compete...

the corps placement doesn't really have anything to do with the guard placement. i remember back in the late 90's sunrisers had the best color guard around, but as i recall the corps didn't place in the top of the class. it's all about how effective the judge sees the book to be and how well it's handled and performed by the members of the guard. this year was pretty close... bucs had a 19.8 in guard, hurcs had a 19.9.....

the corps placement doesn't really have anything to do with the guard placement. i remember back in the late 90's sunrisers had the best color guard around, but as i recall the corps didn't place in the top of the class. it's all about how effective the judge sees the book to be and how well it's handled and performed by the members of the guard. this year was pretty close... bucs had a 19.8 in guard, hurcs had a 19.9.....

Congrats to both guards!!!

Thanks for the review. Empire must have been smokin' last night as it was the first time they beat Hurs this season. Any comments?

My first reaction was, "Statesmen are moving up tonight" ...... received in shock by those around me. They really were on a different level on finals night. Their brass sound was incredibly rich and full. There was no fear in that show. Everyone unzipped and dropped it on the line.

Congrats to both guards!!!

Agreed...but my question is about Bushwackers guard. I thought they were amazing (and I am a guard person), and I've thought they were amazing for the past few years, but they never seem to win guard..at least not the last few years...I'm glad I wasn't the guard judge...would have been a few guards tied for 1st...

My first reaction was, "Statesmen are moving up tonight" ...... received in shock by those around me. They really were on a different level on finals night. Their brass sound was incredibly rich and full. There was no fear in that show. Everyone unzipped and dropped it on the line.

I totally agree.

Though their prelims show was great, the finals version was full of Statesmen attitude and on a different level. I felt the guard deserved a better mark but overall the corps performance as a whole was deserving of the move up they had.

No Drum Corps Assassins seen in the stadium tonight from where I was sitting.

Congratulations to the Bucs. They had the total show this year overall and were more than deserving of their 5th straight title. Looking forward to the DVD already so I can see it and all these great shows over again.

Agreed...but my question is about Bushwackers guard. I thought they were amazing (and I am a guard person), and I've thought they were amazing for the past few years, but they never seem to win guard..at least not the last few years...I'm glad I wasn't the guard judge...would have been a few guards tied for 1st...

Bush won guard in 2006 and 2007 and won Best Showmanship in 2008.

It was a great show all around. It was my wife's 1st DCA show (but she's very familiar with DCI). She called some placements better than I :thumbup: Even though she's a guard person, she said she really liked Hurcs Drumline...and she really enjoyed Alliance and Brigs shows...

I do have a question...although I'm a Buccaneer alum (and vey proud they won again)...and for the last few years I've always thought MBI was underscored..so it's nice seeing them up there again...but my real question...and I've thought this for the past few years. Nothing against any other guard, because there were some great guards out there, but why doesn't Bush win guard. I thought they were amazing..did the judges really see them that much lower then the other guards...or is it that a 9th place corps can't win guard. I've just never understood why they don't place higher. What am I missing?

Point of history...if I recall correctly...when I marched Bucs, the Matadors were cleaning up in guard all season. They did not make finals as a full corps, but DCA let them compete so that their guard could compete...

Hey Gary,

You are right! There are some reallly good guards in DCA and even a few GREAT ONES! But, it certainly is one of those "Things that make you go, hmmmmmmm", from time to time. The thing that gets me is how a not-so-good guard can drag your number down more than a great one can pull it up. Dude, you've been doing this as long as I have and things like that are never easy to figure out. The best thing to do is to reflect upon the positive experiences and accomplishments of the season, take a day or two to recover and decompress, then regroup and start the whole process all over again. Thank you for the nice words. I first saw your post on our forums this morning.

Very good review. Helps me to not have to do a complete review. I would like to "piggyback" on this one though. I'd like to add some of my thoughts.

Alliance. A few corps must be looking over their shoulders at what is coming up on them. They are the Inspires of 2009. The big difference being that Alliance will be back and back and back.... Congratulations.

Caballeros were flying Sunday night. Great show.

I was impressed with Empire that they could make the changes they did from Saturday to Sunday and do them as well as they did.

By time Minnesota was halfway into their show on Sunday, you knew the tie was broken.

Reading was great. Someone questioned me after the show if I thought they should have scored a 99. I said "Sure--only because they couldn't give them a 103"!

Hard to believe that Star United's exhibition could be as good(or possibly better) than their performance on Friday night. Many thanks for coming here every year.

Class A: Sun Devils did a heck of a great show. Whomever plans Governaires show and comes up with the different concepts every year deserves accolades. Them and Vigilanties keep the afternoon entertaining. I'll never understand why corps with 15-20 horns try to go out and emulate corps with 60 horns.

Mini Corps: Things went as expected-with Ghost Riders a very pleasant surprise.

Alumni: Great, as usual. "William Tell" was the highlight for me.

Thanks to everyone involved for a great weekend.