As someone auditioning for a corps

I was just wondering, for all of you that have auditioned, or are going to audition for a corps, how would/do you like it to be handled if the corps knows you aren't going to make the cut?

Would you prefer to be told after your first camp, or would you rather keep going to camps to gain knowledge or insight on how the corps operates? I know camps and driving/flying expenses are high, but would you rather be able to attend these camps with your favorite corps, or be told earlier, so you might be able to audition with another corps? Would you prefer if they recommended another corps that you might have a chance to make, or would you rather they just said, try again next year?

Would you prefer they just told you that you were cut, or would you rather have a critique on what your problem areas were? I know it is tough at a young age to receive criticisms, especially when it is something you love to do, and think you are extremely talented.

Also, would you like your high school/college band staff to discourage you from attending if they know you wouldn't have a chance to make it, or would you rather they just encouraged you to try out anyway?

This happend to me I audition then i was cut but they told to comeback so I could get better but I decided to go to another corp and I made it and I have the best summer ever, so I would prefer if they tell me that you're cut and then audition for another corp.

I think they should let you know if you for sure aren't going to make it and hopefully a little reason why. No reason to yank on someones chain for 2 or 3 more camps. I would also hope that the staff would encourage you to try out somewhere else and in a good way. Not, "you suck, lower your standards and march this piddly corps". It can't be like that because then that person won't do it.

People usually like to hear concrete results ASAP. Yeah it might hurt, but its better in the end. Its like opening your ACT scores. You don't want to know, but you've been waiting a long time to find out so just get it over with.

I'm thinking back to the drum corps auditions I've done and I always passed the first audition. Decided not to march with that particular corps a couple of times but I was 4 for 4 on initial auditions.

If the answer were 'no' though, I would have liked to have had that answer right away or in the mail within a week or two so that I would have had time to go somewhere else.

So........why did I audition for 4 corps? Simple -

One was a startup corps that never made it off the ground....

Another (two) was a corps that I withdrew from after the third camp.......transportation was killing me financially and physically and they were hanging on to 68 brass players still even though they only planned to march 64....my leaving insured someone a slot....

One (three) was a declining (but still top 12) corps where only 38 brass players showed up for the first camp.......I decided not to return for the second camp.....

And the other (four) corps folded midway through the season..... I wound up following brass staff to my next and final corps where I was accepted without an audition.....they knew how I played from the season before.

Edited by notelvis

Thinking about this some more - I was doing support staff work for a corps which would notify kids by mail whether they were cut or could come for one more camp after the first camp back in the 1990's.

There was one kid on the cut list but his letter was honest-to-God lost in the mail. He didn't receive a cut letter so he kept turning up for camps......and he was coming from like three states away. By the time the instructional staff decided to ask why he was still coming, a spot had opened up for him.

Being strung along really sucks. The first corps I auditioned with had me sign a contract in January but at the last camp they told me they had no spot for me and invited me to be an alternate. I can see the rationale for stringing people along: people will quit, they're giving you a chance to improve, or they honestly don't know who's better. But if I were really really on the button, I would have rather peaced out and started auditioning somewhere else. It blew that I was starting to get close with people in the corps, but my dream corps would be whatever corps I ended up stepping on the field with, so I wasn't crushed in that sense.

As advice for drum corps auditioning and pretty much any job you work, make sure you know where you stand. If your boss/caption head isn't telling you how you're performing, make him tell you. Most caption heads will be straight up with you, but if you get blindsighted, you can make them look really really foolish.

Oh, and talks about cutting people should always be done in private and anonymously. Would you fire someone or tell someone they didn't get a job in front of others?

Edited by fourouttheforty

I like the callback system. November auditionees get a callback, and find out if they make it or not December.