Perfect scores.

I've always had issues with corps that have taken a box, or sub box with perfect scores. Well, not the corps, but the judges that give them. i know, I know this isn't a tick system it's an achievment system blah, blah, blah. Point is Bucc's while very very good for a DCA corps are a looooooooooong way from perfect. Good? Yes. The best this year? Definatly (though I do tend to root for MBI). The best in DCA history? it's beginning to look like it. Perfect..Not even close. Humans make errors, errors should not be rewarded with perfection. It's that thing that you should try to attain even though it's not possable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from them, they've been the best corps on the field for 5 straight years. They practice twice as much as any other corps and it pays off. It's just not perfect IMO.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had issues with corps that have taken a box, or sub box with perfect scores. Well, not the corps, but the judges that give them. i know, I know this isn't a tick system it's an achievment system blah, blah, blah. Point is Bucc's while very very good for a DCA corps are a looooooooooong way from perfect. Good? Yes. The best this year? Definatly (though I do tend to root for MBI). The best in DCA history? it's beginning to look like it. Perfect..Not even close. Humans make errors, errors should not be rewarded with perfection. It's that thing that you should try to attain even though it's not possable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from them, they've been the best corps on the field for 5 straight years. They practice twice as much as any other corps and it pays off. It's just not perfect IMO.

I agree, but you will be given a lot of flack for this.

You're under the impression that 100 means perfect. 100 is just the highest score you can get. The main priority of the judges is to get the rankings right. At the end of the season there may be very little difference in performance and execution levels between the corps. So when the 8th place corps earns a legit 90 in a caption... What do you do if the 7 corps above them each do slightly better? 100 doesn't mean perfect, it just means it was the best of the evening.

That makes comparing years by score a pain, but that's not what the judges are concerned about.

I agree with Phalanx. It's not about perfection but ranking and rating. Hurricanes got a 100 in guard composition Sunday night, as well. Does that mean that the color guard book was perfect? No. Box 5's description on the sheets is, if I recall correctly, 'consistently' meeting the criteria. So while the individual category might not be perfect, it's meeting the criteria an incredibly high amount of the time. I suppose we could have a Box 5+ with a 'walks on water' description!

So what's the difference in scores between a perfect performance and great performance on two different nights? Does that mean that a score of 100 means something different on one night than it does another?

So what's the difference in scores between a perfect performance and great performance on two different nights? Does that mean that a score of 100 means something different on one night than it does another?

I would think at that point int time, the judge was in a better position to give credit for the attempt and subtract for the error.

Any teachers out there? Rubrics my friends!

The sheets give numbers based on the criteria performed. In otherwords, the numbers are associated with what the box requirements are. Not all sheets in evaluation are the same. I march Star United, and we got like a 97 at mini corps. Does that mean we were that close to Bucs? I think not. If someone gets a "10" or "100", it just means they've maxed out what that box is saying they did. To me, if multiple groups are coming close to 100, then the sheets may need to be adjusted to be more stringent or specifc.

I'm agreeing with some others here. 100 doesn't mean perfect, it just means they've accomplished all that is being asked. What something better? Get the sheets to be harder!

edit here...

This is, of course, if the sheets are being judged appropriately by someone who really understands them.

Edited by BlueStar98