Running Man Resigns from The Cadets

fifer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on a sec.

Second, the deadline is so they can get on with marketing themselves for the coming year. Whatever they choose will have to to be incorporated into all sorts of materials, including some aimed at this season's marching band crowd. They no doubt will have to assess and further develop whatever is submitted now and might yet even have to take the process to professionals. A longer horizon would set them back.

HH

Well obviously. That's the point of a brand image. However, to do it in a haphazard and rushed fashion is not going to produce something sustainable. If they were really serious about this, they could use what they had for now and then put some time into it and reveal a new image in the spring, before the start of the actual season. Much better plan.

For that matter, since cost is obviously an issue, it could potentially be a student project for a design class. Colleges love this sort of stuff, when a class is given a set design challenge that involves an actual client. Great experience for the students and the corps would undoubtedly get a wider range of stronger ideas. I did that in college and it was much more educational than working on something for a made-up company.

But again, if you're serious about it, you don't do it over a weekend.

I'll submit this design!

3907497394_88854d37ec.jpg

:ph34r::ph34r:

Perhaps Hoppy is planning to use some of the "gimmicks" :worthy: from the "1930" show for the Cadets 2010 show. In that case he might choose to go with a "sitting man" logo! :worthy:

As an ad creative who has supervised logo design (like the one in my avatar), you have conflicting direction in your list of "qualities"

Innovative (Ok, something different, right?)

Traditional (traditional is not typically innovative, or different, or creative)

Fast (does this mean you want it to incorporate motion?)

Creative (well, who wants uncreative? LOL)

Not like the others (Other drum corps logos or past Cadets logos?)

On the edge (of what?)

Powerful (Bold?)

Let me try to give an example here...when I had the Organikat logo made, my 2 directions (and only 2) to the designer were as follows:

1) We need to incorporate a cat's face and

2) We need to incorporate "Organikat," possibly with the "O" of Organikat.

The company is eco and green, so that was a color consideration. Then it took about 3 rounds of my input before we settled on what you see in my avatar.

Just some things to think about. If you know what you want, be specific. Describe what you don't like and what you do. I think you'll end up getting better results that way. Oh, and don't expect any designer worth their salt to design something for $200 in Cadets gear. That's like asking Marc Sylvester to write 2 minutes of drill, and then you'll send him some framed charts when he's done...he wouldn't do it.

Edited by atlvalet

Well obviously. That's the point of a brand image. However, to do it in a haphazard and rushed fashion is not going to produce something sustainable. If they were really serious about this, they could use what they had for now and then put some time into it and reveal a new image in the spring, before the start of the actual season. Much better plan.

For that matter, since cost is obviously an issue, it could potentially be a student project for a design class. Colleges love this sort of stuff, when a class is given a set design challenge that involves an actual client. Great experience for the students and the corps would undoubtedly get a wider range of stronger ideas. I did that in college and it was much more educational than working on something for a made-up company.

But again, if you're serious about it, you don't do it over a weekend.

+ 1,000,000

Give us a great logo for FREE by September 14th LOL

As an ad creative who has supervised logo design (like the one in my avatar), you have conflicting direction in your list of "qualities"

Innovative (Ok, something different, right?)

Traditional (traditional is not typically innovative, or different, or creative)

Fast (does this mean you want it to incorporate motion?)

Creative (well, who wants uncreative? LOL)

Not like the others (Other drum corps logos or past Cadets logos?)

On the edge (of what?)

Powerful (Bold?)

Nitpicking. This is the sort of direction clients routinely give and actually I think this all describes the Cadets quite well. They are both a very traditional and very innovative organization. They tend to move very rapidly in their shows and have at many times taken chances with programs that are edgy, unlike other corps (in a relative sense) and have powerful impact. That being said, the design challenge is to create something that communicates that unorthodox combo of tradition/innovation in a few seconds.....for $200 in t-shirts...lol

Well obviously. That's the point of a brand image. However, to do it in a haphazard and rushed fashion is not going to produce something sustainable...

Well obviously there might be more to this process than you have been assuming? Seriously, you seem to be suggesting that the Cadets will adopt the half-###ed logo of some second-rate graphic artist wannabe if that's all they'll get. Give them more credit than that. They opened the online window to amateur suggestions; they didn't commit to the lowest common denominator. More important, time isn't necessarily the prerequisite for great ideas.

HH

I always thought the stylized outlined shako they had was perfect. It captures both tradition and an "innovative" approach at looking at it. If nothing else, bring that back and change the wordmark to match the fast / bold part.

Mike

Actually they had it before. The shako went with the "Cadets" script, which started as "Cadets of Bergen County" script. It had a fast, gestural look and I thought it always projected the idea of freeform creativity and innovation very well. I've not been a huge fan of the Running Man and associated type, as that image has some problems as a silhouette. In the photo you get a sense of a person flying across the field, but as an icon, something about the legs was a bit off. More like being on tiptoe. Also, the type treatment was weak, but I got the idea of tradition that they were going for and thought that made sense.