Blue Devils Feeder Corps?

I heard something very interesting at finals this year and just wanted to throw it out there and see if it was accurate. What I heard was:

"Blue Devils B is not the feeder corps for the Blue Devils, the feeder corps for the Blue Devils is the Santa Clara Vanguard".

I wonder how true this is? Is it accurate? If it is true, do you think the new managament at Santa Clara (Jeff Fielder) will be able to overcome this to retain the best members?

I have been thinking about this since I heard the comment at finals.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A - I'm not sure why this would be in the "All Age Crops" area.

B - This seems to be a slap at SCV

C - In before close.

There used to be jokes like the Crossmen were Cadets feeder....and to a lesser degree, Carolina Crown was Cadets feeder.

Same sort of thing was said about Phantom Regiment being a feeder for Cavaliers.

It's #### talking pure and simple.

Ya, it's definitely a joke at SCV. However, I am curious how many people move from BDB to BDA. I never think it's that many, but then I see so many people with almost 10 years on their BD jackets.

In the late 80's and early 90's, I'd heard quite a few people refer to VK as "B Corps South", as there were quite a few VK people in the corps.

Moving from corps to corps is usually relative to how many veterans are returning, how many age-outs are jumping on board, etc. For example, if you're marching bass in X corps, but want march snare and your corps has a line full of age-outs and prodigies, you might look elsewhere depending on your competitive spirit. Conversely, if you want the experience of marching in the most competitive environment, you're going to go looking for the places with the most competitive reputations. If you look at the "name" caption heads, they're usually going to draw the most age-outs and have the most intense competitions. I think it's generally true, but not universally true.

As it relates to BD, that's up for interpretation, but ScoJo tends to draw a crowd wherever he goes. I don't think it's like that every section, but I believe it to be somewhat true for the battery.

Edited by Gaddabout

Moving from corps to corps is usually relative to how many veterans are returning, how many age-outs are jumping on board, etc. For example, if you're marching bass in X corps, but want march snare and your corps has a line full of age-outs and prodigies, you might look elsewhere depending on your competitive spirit. Conversely, if you want the experience of marching in the most competitive environment, you're going to go looking for the places with the most competitive reputations. If you look at the "name" caption heads, they're usually going to draw the most age-outs and have the most intense competitions. I think it's generally true, but not universally true.

As it relates to BD, that's up for interpretation, but ScoJo tends to draw a crowd wherever he goes. I don't think it's like that every section, but I believe it to be somewhat true for the battery.

I'll give you the ScoJo Effect....but the same happened when Float left Spirit...and other drummers individually have followed the likes of Hannum, Aungst, Hardimon, and others.

But at BD I've seen people moving from a prior corps not so much for a specific instructor, but more to be in BD....regardless of the success and mystique of some of the other top corps (SCV comes to mind), it certainly appears that BD has more people going there to age out than anywhere else.

In 84 we had transplants not only from SCV, but Regiment, Valley Fever, Ambassadors (Canada), even Garfield. Prior to that we had Florida Wave, Sky Ryders, etc....