Blue Devils Feeder Corps?

I'll give you the ScoJo Effect....but the same happened when Float left Spirit...and other drummers individually have followed the likes of Hannum, Aungst, Hardimon, and others.

First, I doubt there'd be much objection to the statement that BD is commonly at the top or near the top of the list for many age-outs. It just is. Cavies and Cadets are certainly in that discussion. I'm not going to argue who is the top destination.

Second, I'm going to argue when it comes to caption heads, there probably is a regional bias ... west coast, midwest, and east coast. Probably tiered like that. I'm in the west, so ScoJo is the name that jumps out. If I were closer to the Atlantic, Hannum would probably be fresh in my mind. Aungst is still developing his reputation, IMO. I don't think he's as well known outside the activity -- but he's certainly gaining momentum.

I think once you get inside the activity one's list of "heroes" expands, but when you see the same names at or near the top of the trophy list in a given caption, it's pretty difficult not to develop a separate category of worship for them. I know a guy who works in Hollywood now, but was so star struck by Tom Float he was too embarrassed to go up and just talk to that guy. Drum corps is definitely a culture unto itself!

Edited by Gaddabout

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, it's definitely a joke at SCV. However, I am curious how many people move from BDB to BDA. I never think it's that many, but then I see so many people with almost 10 years on their BD jackets.

Understand: I am a Santa Clara fan since 1972. I just heard this said and I wondered whether there is that much movement from SCV to BD. I am not from the west coast so I just wanted to know if this was true.

Um...seriously? Wow.

I knew someone would object to that. :lle:

It's no disrespect to Tom Aungst at all. I'd certainly line up to compete for his line.

Aungst is still developing his reputation, IMO. I don't think he's as well known outside the activity -- but he's certainly gaining momentum.

By that token, God is still developing his reputation.

Hey, NONE of us are known out the activity. Just ask anyone in a car that drove past Lucas Oil Stadium during Finals.

Hey, NONE of us are known out the activity. Just ask anyone in a car that drove past Lucas Oil Stadium during Finals.

Hannum and ScoJo come up from time to time among my friends in the music community. Some other guys who've done some composing for TV/movies, or have done extensive clinics through Vic Firth, Yamaha, etc. Certainly wasn't suggesting anyone was a household name.

I heard something very interesting at finals this year and just wanted to throw it out there and see if it was accurate. What I heard was:

"Blue Devils B is not the feeder corps for the Blue Devils, the feeder corps for the Blue Devils is the Santa Clara Vanguard".

I wonder how true this is? Is it accurate? If it is true, do you think the new managament at Santa Clara (Jeff Fielder) will be able to overcome this to retain the best members?

I have been thinking about this since I heard the comment at finals.

This is an outrageous affront at the Vanguard organization. Moderators, please close this this post immediately. The author owes Vanguard an apology for even printing such an insulting remark.

This is an outrageous affront at the Vanguard organization. Moderators, please close this this post immediately. The author owes Vanguard an apology for even printing such an insulting remark.

Ya lets just censor every opinion that doesn't line up exactly with our own. LAME. :lle:

"Aungst is still developing his reputation, IMO."

HA HA HA HA ... Thump!

Me, Laughing my head off.

Understand: I am a Santa Clara fan since 1972. I just heard this said and I wondered whether there is that much movement from SCV to BD. I am not from the west coast so I just wanted to know if this was true.

People move around corps a lot period, and they move all over. Considering SCV's close proximity to Blue Devils, if it was convenient for someone to march with SCV and they didn't necessarily enjoy it or they just want to try something new, Blue Devils aren't that big of a stretch as far as travel goes, which is a huge factor.

I'd be curious to see where the majority of Blue Devils members marched before they were Blue Devils (if they did march). They get a lot of people from a lot of different corps, but I'd bet money that the majority marched Mandarins, Pacific Crest and SCV, simply because they are all California corps. There's probably a large number of Academy and Cascades members too.