Open and Honest Question

This is a Combo DCI/DCA question;

This is a not an Old Timer DCA Question, this is not the 70's or 80's where most DCA corps march with members aged over 18 not under 18. This is not meant to keep any other corps out of this conversation, but with DCA Corps marching younger members these days and the incredible run that the Reading Bucs have been on, my question is....

How would the Reading Bucs do against this years top 12 DCI finalists?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Combo DCI/DCA question;

This is a not an Old Timer DCA Question, this is not the 70's or 80's where most DCA corps march with members aged over 18 not under 18. This is not meant to keep any other corps out of this conversation, but with DCA Corps marching younger members these days and the incredible run that the Reading Bucs have been on, my question is....

Answer: they'd be DQ'd for having overage members.

Thank you, tip your waiter.

i agree.

(in before the DCA guys claim they would finish top 6)

Disclaimer, I'm not a DCA guy. I saw Bucs a few times in late May, early June, and a video of some of finals (on DCP). They were markedly better than Jersey Surf at the show in NJ in the early season. I think that if they went head-to-head with every DCI corps, they would fall into semi-finals, having a shot at low finals spot maybe. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they'd be Top 6, probably not even top 8. I think that they would be in the Spirit, Crossmen, Scouts, Academy range.

That being said, they're completely different and incomparable in most ways. The show is designed for weekends only and having almost a whole month longer to perform and clean. Yes, the membership has some high school and college kids that go there first to get experience, but there are also many many older members that are far more experienced than some DCI member corps.

If you took their performance from DCA finals and entered it in World Class quarterfinals? I think they would make semis, but it would be close. Not finals.

If you took that corps and put them on a World Class tour all summer? Finalist, and not in the last couple spots, either. No higher than 7th or 8th until they upgraded the show design, though.

The level they achieve on a small fraction of the rehearsal time is pretty amazing.

they could potentially do well if they designed their show for DCI sheets. the problem is, their show is designed for DCA sheets. apples and oranges.

with that design intent difference in consideration, assuming they would be at their end of the year performance level, i think they would place in the semifinals range.

I have no idea, because the only way to truly compare them...or any other DCA finalist corps...against the DCI World Class lineup is for the playing field to be level.

By that I mean:

If the Bucs rehearsed every day of the week in-season and toured, like the top DCI corps do, I would imagine the Bucs would fare pretty well.

Or if the top DCI corps rehearsed only once or twice a week in-season and had a more limited competition schedule, as do the DCA corps, then the Bucs would also fare pretty well.

But a DCI World Class corps vs. a DCA corps, under each corps' respective rehearsal and competition schedules? It's comparing apples to oranges. Two different systems.

So it's a moot point, IMO.

Moderators...plese close this thread now. :rolleyes:

Fran