SCV 1989 over age members

I can however imagine being that French Horn Player. When I see that hole in the show I will always think that could have been me.

See, I was the LAST soprano cut in 1989. I went on to become the SCV Cadet DM and Soprano Soloist that year.

I hope I don’t get myself in trouble for what I’m about to disclose.

I’m now currently the Treasurer for SCV. What happened, happened A LONG TIME AGO!!!!!!!

Doing things like that for SCV by far trumps anything I could have earned on the field as a marching member.

So if one wants to keep score, those guys “took my ring”, and I gave SCV a Bus, a new flooring and a roof (and that’s only so far).

I think I got the better end of the trade.

I remember you, well... I worked with the SCV Cadets in 1989 to help pay for my tour with the A corps.

Congratulations on successfully applying your lessons learned in DC to the real world and so much the better that it benefits an organization that provided the lessons.

Thanks for your persistence and dedication... please continue to serve and serve well!

Just my own 2 cents. My Husband and I were there the day that Gail found out about the bad passports and overage members. We happened to be visiting in the Souvie RV that morning. He was so upset and so hurt. You could see the pain in his eyes. He said that he "advised" the ones caught that for their own well being they had better pack up and get out before he told the rest of the Corps what they had done... I'll never forget that day.

Which kinda dovetails with my first post in this thread....nice to know I was remembering it right!

Just my own 2 cents. My Husband and I were there the day that Gail found out about the bad passports and overage members. We happened to be visiting in the Souvie RV that morning. He was so upset and so hurt. You could see the pain in his eyes. He said that he "advised" the ones caught that for their own well being they had better pack up and get out before he told the rest of the Corps what they had done... I'll never forget that day.

YES That exactly how it happened!! Those guys would have gotten the the #### beat out of them! Gail was a stand up guy! A great man and in no way would he break the rules to win! He was NOT that guy!

If I'm interpreting this story correctly it sounds like one of the guys had a falling out with some arm candy and she dropped a dime on him. Hey, it's been known to happen. :tongue:

Wow, I had no idea. This thread really educated me. For the record, I know a guy that marched Scouts overage in 2000. There are still ways to sneak one by the powers that be, but I'm sure every corps has had it happen at sometime or another. Alot of people will do anything for the experience....even if it involves cheating.

Wow, I had no idea. This thread really educated me. For the record, I know a guy that marched Scouts overage in 2000. There are still ways to sneak one by the powers that be, but I'm sure every corps has had it happen at sometime or another. Alot of people will do anything for the experience....even if it involves cheating.

And just for the "experience" they are cheating on all of their legal age "Brothers and Sisters" who've for months been sheding their own blood, sweat and tears. They could be jeopordizing their Drum Corps "family" a chance to maybe win a National Title! All of that just to be able to be on the field a little bit longer? How harsh and selfish is that?

As far as I'm concerned they should be horse whipped!! (too harsh? :cool: )

And just for the "experience" they are cheating on all of their legal age "Brothers and Sisters" who've for months been sheding their own blood, sweat and tears. They could be jeopordizing their Drum Corps "family" a chance to maybe win a National Title!

Not only that, they could be jeopardizing their corps' finals record completely. It doesn't have to be a national championship to be bitterly disappointing . . . as several disqualified corps will attest.

Not only that, they could be jeopardizing their corps' finals record completely. It doesn't have to be a national championship to be bitterly disappointing . . . as several disqualified corps will attest.

Hi Sue. The only forum I'm on is DCP, that's me. I see you're on social networks and if you can, please help me with research. I'd appreciate it. What were the aging rules for winter guard 1976-1977 Northwest and California? I was 21. There was a month that if you turned 21, you were eligible. Which month was it? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sue. The only forum I'm on is DCP, that's me. I see you're on social networks and if you can, please help me with research. I'd appreciate it. What were the aging rules for winter guard 1976-1977 Northwest and California? I was 21. There was a month that if you turned 21, you were eligible. Which month was it? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I have no idea. I'm mainly familiar with what the rules were for drum corps, not winter guard (and I didn't even start marching corps till '78). Maybe someone else can help you with this question?

Reading these posts about GR’s concern reminds me of the on-camera interview he conducted for DCI one year. I’m not sure of the year; all I remember was that he was seated at a desk, and he was asked about his role was a director. His answer went something like,

“Well, I make sure that the kids are well fed, stay healthy, make sure they get enough sleep…” then he looked straight at the camera and said, “Don’t I sound just like a concerned parent?” That’s like beyond the grave for me; he had lots of kids…128 each year…

• Like 1