Cavaliers name new director

It's kind of an odd way to announce this. For most of us (outsiders), all we know is that some staff have moved on, which happens with all organizations from time to time.

The announcement alludes to internal problems and acrimony among staff/BOD that makes fans on the outside wonder what's going on.

Probably would have been better to just issue a positive press release that "I'm coming back and we're building a great team," etc.

Yeah, I can see why one would get that out of the release. Were there alumni surprised when it became known there would be some changes? Sure. Are there typically some who are taken aback when there are changes? Yes. Will this still be news next week? Probably not.

It's not the release I would have put out, but hey... Life moves on, as do any corps that experience change.

The corps is in good hands.

Mike (a Cavalier alum)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Cavies armour there was a chink today. This was not typical of their form at all.

And in all of this..Mr. Warren is most likely still very involved. Probably more involved now than he has been this entire decade.

I don't know; I'm sure they have just as many issues as others. They just typically deal with it 'in house,' and those on the inside just to a great job of not spreading gossip or problems publicly.

It's kind of an odd way to announce this. For most of us (outsiders), all we know is that some staff have moved on, which happens with all organizations from time to time.

The announcement alludes to internal problems and acrimony among staff/BOD that makes fans on the outside wonder what's going on.

Probably would have been better to just issue a positive press release that "I'm coming back and we're building a great team," etc.

I'm a journalist by trade, two decades worth of experience now. This release made me cringe. If I were the PR director, I would have crossed out the entire first graph. He's obviously not talking to the public or even DCI fans. He's delivering a message that would have been much better delivered verbally in an alumni meeting or something. It doesn't belong in a public address in any fashion, particularly since none of us on the periphery have any clue there was a need to address anything. Now the door is opened for public speculation.

But I find this to be a problem with most corps.

I'm going to stop now or I'll start ranting about how I (and some of my colleagues who are DCI vets/fans) have been continually rebuffed after offering our time and assistance on the local level.

Mr. Degrauwe had been more involved with the day-to-day opoerations of the corps in recent years, especially during finals week, so this is not a HUGE surprise. It is still disheartening that the Corps has lost so many people that were keys to their success in recent years (Mr. Zuccala, Mr. Bertman, etc.). The Cavaliers have always reminded me of the Steelers or Yankees in Athletic terms, they like to operate from internally and find great success from doing so....I hope the Corps finds the same amount of success in the future and still honors the contributions of those whom they have left behind.

I'm a journalist by trade, two decades worth of experience now. This release made me cringe. If I were the PR director, I would have crossed out the entire first graph. He's obviously not talking to the public or even DCI fans. He's delivering a message that would have been much better delivered verbally in an alumni meeting or something. It doesn't belong in a public address in any fashion, particularly since none of us on the periphery have any clue there was a need to address anything. Now the door is opened for public speculation.

But I find this to be a problem with most corps.

I'm going to stop now or I'll start ranting about how I (and some of my colleagues who are DCI vets/fans) have been continually rebuffed after offering our time and assistance on the local level.

The release quoted was posted on the corps' website. I read it, and it would have been my choice NOT to post it on a public forum. I wish it hadn't been posted here because, true to DCP form, people are reading between the lines and debating about something of which they have no knowledge.

The Cavaliers know what's going on in their corps. Leave it to them.

Best of luck to the old/new director, Adolph DeGrauwe.

Garry in Vegas

What are all of these differences that have to be settled? I'm not up on my Cavies info I guess.

Probably wasn't the best way to start things out looking at it from an outsider perspective. Gives the sense of possible major internal issues (which could even not be all that major for all we know) that didn't need to be released. I trust that the corps knows what they're doing though.

Still, exciting news and definitely a great man for the position.

The release quoted was posted on the corps' website. I read it, and it would have been my choice NOT to post it on a public forum. I wish it hadn't been posted here because, true to DCP form, people are reading between the lines and debating about something of which they have no knowledge.

Best of luck to the old/new director, Adolph DeGrauwe.

Garry in Vegas

It is always kind of amazing that there are so many lines on a computer screen, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I fully understand why some think the letter made it sound like there are major obstacles to overcome. There aren't. Adolph is someone who doesn't sugarcoat anything and is perhaps more direct than some might expect. The good thing is everyone knows exactly what's on his mind. The bad thing is this is DCP. (I kid, DCP. You know by my presence that I love you!)

This is a great corps surrounded by a proven organization that remains "deep" in talent. I think the departure of someone with Bruno's stature needed to be handled the way the Cavies did, with pure class. In light of that, this announcement is just a bit puzzling (to the uninformed) in that there is seemingly some unnecessary negativity. On the other hand, my guess is that most of us would say that the Scout's organizational transition (as extensive as it is) has been exclusively "positive" in terms of announcements. Neither approach is any of our business (unless connected to the respective organizations), but recruiting the best available performers is psychological and I would just suggest that the Scout's approach has set themselves up brilliantly.

The point still stands. This is bad PR simply because it invites so much speculation. They could've avoided it altogether just by posting something more to-the-point.