Food sanitation expert

Keep the hot food hot.

Keep the cold food cold.

Wash hands often.

How hot is hot enough and how cold is cold enough; do they really even know? Not to take anything away from the great support staff and volunteers, but most likely the answer is no.

Like shaq9195 mentioned, ServSafe offers some great programs, it is governed by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and their certification is good for 5 years. I had to take their management food safety class for work and it was a definite eye-opener. It teaches everything from sanitation to proper food preparation/storage and how to notice/prevent many of the most common food borne illnesses. I don't know if they have a specific class offered on catering/off-site food preparation, but my class did cover it briefly.

Would it be feasible for DCI to hire an instructor/proctor through ServSafe and offer a 2-day certification class to all corps volunteer/food coordinators during it's annual meetings?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about the sickness that went around the corps this summer, I believe it came from Florida. Drum corps should just avoid Florida from now on.

Crown's certainly did. If my memory serves, it was after the standstill at Orlando when everyone got utterly drenched. I think that was the most rain I've ever seen come down in a storm in my life, and we had a long bus ride that night on the frigid, crowded buses without a real opportunity to dry or change. Goodbye, immune systems.

and make sure you look into some type of water filtration device if you are getting water from a hose off a building.

YES. Some of the water we had to drink this summer was just plain disgusting, but we had to deal with it because it was better than getting dehydrated.

Having had the privelge to observe a food line with a certain X group, it was clear that they did not know know anything about food handling. How they never got sick, I will never know. My visit was early in the season, but our corp member said that nothing changed even knowing that other corps had been excusing themselves out of competitions. DCI should have specific rules about food handlers and even, with this summers illnesses, should have been patrolling so to speak for the safety of the corps. Something as simple as effective water bottle cleaning goes lenghts in protecting against illness.

If ServSafe is not an option, many counties require food handlers to pass a course and carry their cards on them at all times when working. I know I had to have one in Maricopa County in AZ, and currently have one in Clark County, NV.

Each corps can contact their local health department and see if they can get their people certified. Health cards in Clark County are $50 and good for 4 years.

Garry in Vegas

PS Four members of the Florida football team, including QB Tim Tebow, traveled separately to the game yesterday due to "upper respiratory infections." Maybe it IS a Florida thing!

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I'm curious if any corps has this...

I drank water that seemed to range anywhere from fine to thick as 2% milk to a measurable amount of sediment.

This is a great idea and if filtration systems / UV purifiers aren't being used by kitchen trucks, why the heck not? Seems to me a small investment with a larger return. Just filtering the water so it actually looks and tastes like water would make the performers much happier (and safer). I'll bet those schools where the 'potable" water does not look so potable use filtration systems in their cafeterias.

When we took some food donations to the Regiment food truck this past July I believe I saw a water filter on the hose to the food truck.

Not positive but I think it was there.

The food prep area was spotless also.