At the end

Today, I was thinking about how good it feels to leave it all out on the field after a show. At the end of a performance I am so happy. Not because it's over, but because I've given it my all and left nothing inside of me. It's one of the greatest feelings I have ever felt.... Tell about a moment, or your last performance on the field, perhaps in Finals when you had this "high" after performing, and you left in tears knowing all the hard work and effort payed off.

:thumbup:

I remember back when I marched, and I left every performance increasingly happier. It may have been impossible for me to be in a bad mood after a performance, even if I had screwed something up.

After finals, I vividly remember coming off the field a complete wreck. Me and the person I marched off the field with were in tears and holding back a sort of giddy, joyous laughter. We both knew that the show had gone phenomenally well and there wasn't a single thing we could have done to make it better. It had been our best show by far, and we knew that the hundreds of hours of hard work had indeed payed off.

With the crowd roaring it's approval, we left the field knowing that we had done what we had come to do. We performed at our best level and had the audience on their feet, practically begging for more. As the corps met off-field, I saw that everyone was feeling the same way. There were no regrets to be had, only fond memories.

I know I will never forget that feeling, and I hope that today's marchers don't take anything for granted and are able to enjoy the same feelings after they leave everything they've got on the field.

I think I felt that in marching band when I was on the field. But after I'm done playing in the pit, I get a good feeling, but it's not quite the same as the tired-as-####-and-endorphins-are-going-crazy type of thing that marching gives. Possibly because I pretty quickly have to deal with a logistical situation of getting the pit out of the way of the next pit and off the field in record time. Ah well.

I generally had to pee up until the step off of the show, at which time I forgot it. Then, right as we are marching off, I think "Man, it sure is a relief to go down to trai---- RELIEF! MUST PEE!"

spartans 07. After finals i knew something really really special had just happened. I got off the field and the corps met in the parking lot, WHen Larry, our brass instructor told us "congratulations, you finally finished the show" I dont think ive ever been more proud of myself. Since that day, i have been working to be the best i can be and recreate that feeling, unfortunately i dont think i can, but i can certainly fondly remember that day in pasadena, im crying right now as a write this. Thank you for bringing this up. Im in college at the moment, working towards a music education degree, and this reminds me of how much harder i need to work! Thank you Drum Corps!

In 02 I suffered a pretty major ankle sprain. Though I never missed a rehearsal or performance because of it, I had it wrapped really tight for the rest of the season, and for the next season. At a performance in Dallas... I think, it was definitely Texas... we were going 196 at the very end of the show. I did a touch and go and my ankle just gave out and it took every ounce of adrenaline I had just to get to the end of the show without bailing. As I marched off the field to troop the stands, the guy next to me in twos was a friend of mine from college. He could instantly tell that I was in pain. When we went to trail arms and took off our helmets, he put his arm around me and helped me make it the circle. He did this just about when we were on the 50 during the troop. The people in the first few rows had already sat down, but when they saw us they stood back up and starting clapping again. Though I was in intense pain, that was the best I ever felt leaving the field after a show, and I'll never forget that guy.

For me it was this crystal clear moment when I realized what the whole thing was about for me. It was our last rehearsal of my rookie year in '92 and we finished a large chunk and after the first run all Jim Prime had to say to us (in a very matter of fact tone) was,

"That's Perfect! Donald, let's move on."

The man has THE best ears I've ever witnessed. He never let anything slide. If he said it was clean, it was friggin' clean. Those few seconds were even more special to me when in '93 he never issued that refrain again. That was an equally great hornline. It made me realize that that moment back in '92 was just that uniquely perfect.

...Scouts, I'm jealous...

Edited by Medeabrass