Hello!

Thanks for your help Jim! I might have to make you my exchange advisor :)

Lol yeah. When I think about it, we actually do the same here in Australia. University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, University of Western Sydney.

Yeah, I'm definitely having some misgivings about A&T. I did send them an email but I don't think they're going to get back to me in time... Still, it will be interesting to see what they have to say, I'll keep you posted :D

A big question that's lurking in the back of my mind is whether I'd even make it into a university marching band with zero marching experience... I'm fairly athletic and not completely uncoordinated, but attempting to mark time with a french horn is already proving nigh impossible. I'm told the french horn is positively diabolical to march with, but I'm still worried.. How long does it usually take to get the gist of marching?

Update:

I've submitted my university preferences:

1) University of California: i) Berkeley ii) Davis ii) San Diego --> pacific crests, not sure about mandarins, and two great corps which I am not going to get into..

2) Purdue --> midwest corps

3) Wisconsin Madison --> midwest corps and pioneer (??)

4) University of Georgia --> Spirit

I passed on North Carolina because I didn't get word back from the exchange program advisor. Humm...

Edited by kauliflower

• 2 weeks later...

Another school in Pennsylvania is West Chester University. It is a smaller school, with a great music program, and a great corps style marching band. They are very close to all Cadets camps.

West Chester is about 40 minutes away from Philadelphia, so you can get an idea of where it is. It's not a big Div 1 school, but the music program is great.

This is if you are still looking. It would be a great opportunity to be near the Cadets, a great drum corps.

Thanks for the info Kicks, but I have already submitted my preferences and my initial options were constrained to what my university offered.

Our university has separate exchange programs and study abroad programs. Within exchange we can only choose from partner universities, which is what I'm doing, and that way we only have to pay our largely-subsidised Australian uni fees. Otherwise, the study abroad program may have let me choose West Chester, depending on how keen would have been on taking me, but then I would have to pay US uni fees which are MASSIVE in comparison to the Aus ones. Otherwise I definitely would have had a look at West Chester :)

Ugh... and people who live in Pennsylvania choose schools like West Chester because it is supported by the state and cheaper than Penn State or Penn which are privately funded. Actually it's one of the "state funded colleges" I mentioned earlier. But if you live out of state (or country) the cost is a lot higher. Kinda know about it because I went to another one of those schools (a looong time ago) at the other end of the state near Pittsburgh.

Good luck and thanks for filling us in. Knew very little about the exchange program.

Nice to learn a little bit on the exchange program... actually West Chester isn't too bad for out of staters... it's cheaper than some "cheap" in state schools for me... but then again, I live in Jersey, hahaha.

Anyway, I hope you get to march in a good corps when you come over to the states. Good luck with everything!!!

Thanks guys. Now I just have to wait another 3 months with my fingers and toes crossed. Just curious, could you put a per annum figure on how much these "cheaper" state funded universities cost?

Have you tried checking eBay for a mellophone? You might be able to get your hands on a cheap one and see if the shipping isn't too out of this world.

I did cast around earlier for a bit, checking out some mellophones that corps were retiring, but I gave that a rest when it hit me that I had to pay not only for the instrument, but for "import" taxes and shipping.

I just checked ebay quickly just then. It reminded me that I have no idea what I'm looking for. I recall that when I was looking to buy my french horn (I'd hired from school until then), there were some bogus horns on ebay and I am really, really scared I might fall into that trap. I just don't know what I'm doing to be honest..

Update:

I've been nominated for the university of california :D I need to preference one of these campuses now: Irvine, Riverside, Santa Barbara

From what I've seen on youtube, I dont think Irvine's band would be suitable for the accelerated development I'm going to need. Any suggestions?

Edited by kauliflower