"This is Your Brain on Drums"

ironlips

Dedicated to all my drummer friends:

Inside the Arc - Issue 11

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/content/view/5526/53/

Is that a horn you're holding in your pic? You mean you're a HORN GUY and you recognize what all us drummers have known since we were in utero? Why, somthing tells me there's a tacit compliment buried in there (save the obvious to the obvious Jay Kennedy).

Why, geesh, I hardly know how to act. After taking 30 years of insults from "blowhards" and "reedsuckers" I'm quite speechless how to react to your admission that we drummers may have known all along what wow's the crowd.

Thanks, I think. :innocent:

(Excellent article, BTW!)

I suppose one could be forgiven for thinking that all hornplayers are "brass-holes", but this one had the good fortune to have Billy Cobham as a seat partner, Jerry Shellmer, Dennis Delucia and Charlie Poole as collaborators, and both Fred Sanford and Ralph Hardimon as room mates.

Even a dullard like me was bound to learn something from those cats.

I'm glad you liked the piece.

Edited by ironlips

I suppose one could be forgiven for thinking that all hornplayers are "brass-holes", but this one had the good fortune to have Billy Cobham as a seat partner, Jerry Shellmer, Dennis Delucia and Charlie Poole as collaborators, and both Fred Sanford and Ralph Hardimon as room mates.

:innocent::angel1::cool:

Wow! Can I like...just...touch you? Some of all of that brilliance must have rubbed off, and if you just do the "E.T. touch my forehead" thingy maybe I'll become the drummer I always wanted to be.

Very impressive company you keep...

Loved the article.

(quote) Wow! Can I like...just...touch you? Some of all of that brilliance must have rubbed off, and if you just do the "E.T. touch my forehead" thingy maybe I'll become the drummer I always wanted to be.

Very impressive company you keep...

Loved the article.

I've touched Frank.... Its not as exciting as you may think !! :innocent: LOL... j/k

Of course I still have a loss of hearing in my left ear from some note he played at me during a concert in 1977 !! :) :angel1:

Edited by hurcwave

Vic is correct. It's not me you want to touch, it's those other guys, and while you're at it, see if you can brush up against Murray Gusseck, Jimmy Cassella, Danny Raymond, Jr. and Thom Hannum.

That list is by no means inclusive, incidentally. And if you really want to fire up the Way Back Machine...Wm. F. Ludwig, Earle Sturtze, Bobby Thompson (and the rest of the Sons of Liberty), as well as Arsennault, Markovich, Dowlan, Marrella, Flowers, Goodheart, Perriloux, Parks, Danny Raymond, Sr.,...and on and on.

Great percussion teachers are worth their weight in gold, even the beefy ones, and even at today's prices. As for me, I've just been lucky enough to have been thrown into the mix with some of them. They always made my charts sound far better than they had any right to.

Edited by ironlips

Vic is correct. It's not me you want to touch, it's those other guys, and while you're at it, see if you can brush up against Murray Gusseck, Jimmy Cassella, Danny Raymond, Jr. and Thom Hannum.

That list is by no means inclusive, incidentally. And if you really want to fire up the Way Back Machine...Wm. F. Ludwig, Earle Sturtze, Bobby Thompson (and the rest of the Sons of Liberty), as well as Arsennault, Markovich, Dowlan, Marrella, Flowers, Goodheart, Perriloux, Parks, Danny Raymond, Sr.,...and on and on.

Great percussion teachers are worth their weight in gold, even the beefy ones, and even at today's prices. As for me, I've just been lucky enough to have been thrown into the mix with some of them. They always made my charts sound far better than they had any right to.

Very true Frank.. and also DeLucia, Barabro, Luedee, Johnson, Pratt .... oh so many more.. and a very true statement, you make in your last paragraph !

Thanks for writing a great article !

Just listen to you old guys! J/K I still love you Vic. :tongue:

The only individual above that I've had the pleasure of working with(other than you Vic) was Danny Raymond, Jr, and that was only on a few occasions. The man can do some incredible things with his lines.