Rookie Drum Majors?

drum majors don't always do a lot of ordering around...

I know a lot of majors just conduct, do wake up and lights out, and then help with admin or help with logistics.

this. it all depends what the staff want in a DM. If they just want the best conductor possible, they might grab a rookie. If they want the DM to be a conductor\leadership role, than maybe not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never cared for drum majors that werent former members....especailly if they're in leadership positions. I think its fine to have conductors who havent marched...but not corps leaders.

My personal preference/opinion is all...

I feel its annoying that someone who's never been in my shoes before can order me around when they have no idea what its like.

One of the corps that I marched in had a Drum Major who was extremely vain and self-centered. A lot of his ideas for "leading" the corps involved him putting himself in front and being the center of attention. Some of the things that he did showed he had no idea what it was like to ever march.

The horn seargant on the other hand, who had been with the corps for many years, was a hard-### who did a great job leading.

I was terrified of him when I was marching...but I also respected him a lot...he sacrificed a lot of his summer fun to keep the corps moving along.

I don't know if it's still the case but back when I marched Bluecoats the rule was that you had to have at least 1 year with the corps before you could become drum major. I believe that rule started in 1987 a year after a rookie DM quite midway through the season in 1986. The rookie was the asst. DM, but it prompted the staff to make the rule regarding veteran only DM's.

I prefer a vet as a DM. A rookie trying to lead a bunch of vets is probably going to have a hard time gaining respect, whereas someone who has been through the ringer with their fellow corpsmates will probably be more readily accepted. JMO

I prefer a vet as a DM. A rookie trying to lead a bunch of vets is probably going to have a hard time gaining respect, whereas someone who has been through the ringer with their fellow corpsmates will probably be more readily accepted. JMO

. . . and not a vet from another corps.

. . . and not a vet from another corps.

I seem to remember Phantom's conductor in 2002 (maybe 2003, too) being a vet that had a few years in at Pioneer. Anyone confirm?

We're talking about drum majors, not conductors. :lookaround:

I have never cared for drum majors that werent former members....especailly if they're in leadership positions. I think its fine to have conductors who havent marched...but not corps leaders.

My personal preference/opinion is all...

I feel its annoying that someone who's never been in my shoes before can order me around when they have no idea what its like.

One of the corps that I marched in had a Drum Major who was extremely vain and self-centered. A lot of his ideas for "leading" the corps involved him putting himself in front and being the center of attention. Some of the things that he did showed he had no idea what it was like to ever march.

The horn seargant on the other hand, who had been with the corps for many years, was a hard-### who did a great job leading.

I was terrified of him when I was marching...but I also respected him a lot...he sacrificed a lot of his summer fun to keep the corps moving along.

I second that!

If you have NEVER marched corps before, than you better prove that you worth listening to. For most of my years marching I had a DM that was a Vet and was a great leader. But I then I came across someone that had never marched corps... and was in a leadership position. I did my best to listen but almost all the stuff that came out his mouth was silly, pertinacious, and rookie. I guess that's part of Drum Corps that a lot of us had and still have to deal with.