Loud and good or Candy and good?

Crown plays loud but not balanced...well they do more than some corps but I think Cadets get a pretty nice ballzy loud with balance as in the tubas are just as loud at the trumpets and its incredible, to me at least. Now In tune? HA! good luck with that, I think maybe Cavaliers are the only corps that gets close to that, now if they could produce some volume then they would be set.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown plays loud but not balanced...well they do more than some corps but I think Cadets get a pretty nice ballzy loud with balance as in the tubas are just as loud at the trumpets and its incredible, to me at least. Now In tune? HA! good luck with that, I think maybe Cavaliers are the only corps that gets close to that, now if they could produce some volume then they would be set.

Crown plays with a more balanced sound than any other hornline out there, and they play more in tune than any other hornline on the field. There's a reason why they won brass overall by 5 tenths finals week.

Loud is better than controlled, but out of tune negates the benifits of loud, but controlled and in tune without loud is like eating an ice cream cone after dropping it in the dirt. It's just less than satisfying.

So is it balance and LOUD? Or is it BALLS to the WALLS LOUD and good, that brings people to their feet??????? Remember this is drum corps, not orchestra. Also remember that Balanced is not the same as IN TUNE. As well as Visa Versa. What is obvious to me, is that we are losing people. Players and watchers.

Depends on the moment.

some music needs Balance but at moments needs BTTW loud.

its all music there is NO right and wrong.

ONLY good and Bad.

Exactly. There isn't a set-in-stone definition for tone, or balance, or any of that stuff.* When I'm playing a second line tune with my band, I don't play the same way as when I'm backing up someone on an R&B tune, or when I'm playing in an orchestra, or marching, or...and on and on. It's about the style and what's appropriate. Having said that, there's room for debate over how, for example, the wind band influence on the direction of DCI brass teaching has limited the concept of what's appropriate, but that's for another thread.

*Having said that, just because it doesn't have a black and white definition, doesn't mean it cannot be defined. DCI has at least set up a basic idea of what the definition is at least by creating quantifications of a judge's qualitative assessment of a hornline, but even then there is still room for interpretation.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My amp goes to 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need a drum Corps that goes to 11 again !!!!!!!!!!

As someone who was raised classically and has litterally lived in practice rooms before, when it comes to a DCI hornline, while I truly deeply appreciate a great balanced, intune, and technically strong group, i really dont care most of the time and just want my face ripped off.

I really miss feeling my body shake from what used to come from the field to my face. Although, this year, I had 50 yard seats about 8 rows back and a lot of shows had me just in shock of the power behind these kids.

Ive spent my entire life seeing and hearing corps, and Its been a long time since ive just been in awe of groups.

To sum up: I dont care about great sound, or even good sound. I want loud sound.