Spirit is moving

seconded!!!

Thirded

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please explain why they are not re-incorporating "Atlanta" in their name? The only downside I can imagine is if they don't plan on staying in Atlanta for the long term.

Ever think that the name "Spirit of Atlanta" is in debt?

Same reason why VK is not the "Velvet Knights" right?

Um, check again....they are calling themselves the "Velvet Knights".

Indeed....I think they cleared the name before they hit the field for their first show.

I don't remember any discussions of Spirit having major finance issues....

So what school/college will be home to the corps?? I'm guessing it will be OTP??

So, interesting fact - I went to their site and took the mailing address from the member application and looked it up. The closest building I could find to that address was the Woodruff Physical Education Center, which is near the Emory campus in Atlanta. Perhaps?

Welcome "back" Spirit of Atlanta!!! I sincerely hope you will consider playing some SOA classics of the 80's. Best of luck on your move and for the future of the corps!

A retro show would be so cool and a great rebound after last years show.

If they can all build a symbiotic relationship, Heaven help the rest of the activity.

I hear you there. Imagine what they could do if they fund raised together,,shared staff's,,, and purchased a practice facility together. It could be a great relationship.

Could someone please explain why they are not re-incorporating "Atlanta" in their name? The only downside I can imagine is if they don't plan on staying in Atlanta for the long term.

We've had only one response in this thread that claims that Spirit will not incorporate "of Atlanta" into their name...hardly an official statement. There was no mention of the name either way in the press release...

Ever think that the name "Spirit of Atlanta" is in debt?

Again...unless Bill Duquette changed it during his term with Spirit as director in the mid 90s (which wouldn't surprise me), "Spirit of Atlanta" never was the legal name of the corps. Besides, the official operating entity of the organization now is the "Friends of Spirit"...again, unless something has changed since I was deeply involved with the corps a few years ago.

The PERFORMING name doesn't necessarily have to be the LEGAL name of the organization. Spirit, JSU Spirit, Spirit of JSU, Spirit of Atlanta, Spit of a Llama...doesn't matter what you call it. Just call it (preferably as a finalist in the Top 12!).

Edited by ssorrell