water sounds?

friceox

Hey folks, so for a show I'm working on, we're trying to add more water/ocean/boat effects.

Currently we have some homemade ocean drums and a ship bell, but we're looking for other sound effects.

I'm mainly looking for wave sounds, boat creaks, etc.

For boat creaks, i'm thinking of having them drag a rubber mallet across a concert bass.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Hey folks, so for a show I'm working on, we're trying to add more water/ocean/boat effects.

Currently we have some homemade ocean drums and a ship bell, but we're looking for other sound effects.

I'm mainly looking for wave sounds, boat creaks, etc.

For boat creaks, i'm thinking of having them drag a rubber mallet across a concert bass.

Anyone got any more ideas?

If it's a drum corps, have the hornline blow air thru the horns moving the aim side to side,.........simulating a wave effect,...........for a guard or drumline,.......Have the members blow thru flexible end automotive type funnels..........

get a bosun's whislte,......................

for the boat creaks..............don't grease the concert bass stand, and just move the drum,.............or, find the carrier that when tilting creaks the most, and use it,............LOL

Edited by Gary Matczak

For the creaking sound, get two pieces of wood and bolt them together really tight in the middle like a plus sign. To make the creaking, simply rotate the pieces. This is an old trick to make the sound of a creaky door. It takes some experimenting to find the right wood combination for the sound you want, but many lumber years have lots of small pieces of various woods you can pick up cheap. Use a washer next to the bolt head and nut, but not between the wood.

Also, you can drag the end of a drum stick across a gong to get another squeaking sound. You have to push the stick against the gong so the weight of the gong is on the stick.

China Cymbal on a timpani. Put the China on the timp upside down and roll on the cymbal while you just go randomly on the pedal.

Bow on a gong.

Gong or chimes in water.

This is what synths are for. :thumbup:

This is what synths are for. :whistle:

Everything sounds really creative until this post.

China Cymbal on a timpani. Put the China on the timp upside down and roll on the cymbal while you just go randomly on the pedal.

good water gong right there.

as for creaking, instead of a rubber mallet on a concert bass drum, try a finger across a conga or bongo head. it takes some experimenting to get the sound right, but if you do it slowly it'll sound good