The history of the Westshoremen

I'll have to ask Dad if he knew him. Name isn't ringing a bell

Used to work near a guy in the building who is waaaay into doing the bugle calls for various functions on base and off. Guess he's OK but need some social skills (like not blabbing ad nasium about something when you're busy).

Anyway he must have a obit checker for drum corps.... every time someone with Westshoremen is in the paper her emails me a copy.... :doh:/>

Checking the age, I have no idea who the man was but might have been a distant in-law to my in-laws.....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kenneth M. Kann, 88, of Camp Hill, died Wednesday, December 05, 2012, at Holy Spirit Hospital, East Pennsboro Twp.

He retired as Assistant Comptroller for the General Accounting Office of the Budget, Commonwealth of PA; a Navy Veteran of WWII having served honorably in the European and Pacific Theaters; a 78 year member of Grace United Methodist Church, Lemoyne; a member of the Masonic Lodge, Harrisburg Consistory, Zembo Shrine and its Luncheon Club, Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Harrisburg Forest #43; a member of the Westshoreman(sic - jrf) Drum and Bugle Corps and the former Co-ed Club of the YMCA.

Born September 4, 1924, in Harrisburg, he was the son of the late Elmer and Mary (Brehm) Kann.

Memorial services will be held at 11 AM on Tuesday in his church with the Rev. John L. Shellenberger, Jr., his pastor, officiating. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery, Hampden Twp. Visitation will be held one hour prior to services in the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to his church, 313 Herman Avenue, Lemoyne, PA 17043.

For more information or to send messages of condolence, please visit www.Parthemore.com.

He was probably once a member of the bass drum line... Gieger once told me that 93% of the residents of PA played bass drum for Westshore for at LEAST a practice! :tongue: He said a lot of people would join, get the jacket, then quit...

2/23 at LD, unless the boss has me out of town or busy that weekend, there's no reason not to get to that one (heck if I was really ambitious, I could WALK there, I live so stinking close)

Keep that one on top, Boom!

I kinda like the date and the location myself...and I wont mention there is a brewery near by too..

Wow....Boom must have gotten her scanner fixed.. she's tossing up pics like CRAZY on the WSM Facebook page!!!!

you havent made that deposit into my account to NOT post the ones of you ...yet.... :) I will post some here too...I found a bunch from when we went to Montreal..that was 82, right? maybe? it all blurrs together...well Montreal...all I know was, I somehow was able to purchase alot of beer and bring it home...

i am suprised nobody ever talked about the bingo we used to run and the bingo wenches...do you remember having the gong show there? Monica dressed up as Sandy the dog and Beth was Annie? Rickie Lee did a comedy act...imagine that? i remember Schell, Rook as being judges...another fatal error LMAO...they were sitting upright at the time too LOL...

I kinda like the date and the location myself...and I wont mention there is a brewery near by too..

Ironically...I'm wearing my Tröegenator t-shirt as I type! :devil:

you havent made that deposit into my account to NOT post the ones of you ...yet.... :) I will post some here too...I found a bunch from when we went to Montreal..that was 82, right? maybe? it all blurrs together...well Montreal...all I know was, I somehow was able to purchase alot of beer and bring it home...

What's that Swiss bank account number again? :doh: I don't care...as long as the pictures don't show me having relations with farm animals, I guess they're fair game :tongue:

Yeah 1982...It was technically the first time I "legally" sat at a bar and drank a beer! (I remember those funky cans with the push button opener) I agree with the amount of beer also...it was almost like when we used to drive down to Hagerstown (when MD was 18) and stock up for the next two weeks! :w00t:

I also remember the poor beer guy at DCI finals schlepping up to those of us in the cheap seats!

i am suprised nobody ever talked about the bingo we used to run and the bingo wenches...do you remember having the gong show there? Monica dressed up as Sandy the dog and Beth was Annie? Rickie Lee did a comedy act...imagine that? i remember Schell, Rook as being judges...another fatal error LMAO...they were sitting upright at the time too LOL...

I also remember "bribing" Frank Dorritee before the one Gong show when he was the judge :rolleyes: Didn't do us any good...Schell gonged us (the b#st#rd!)

Just talked to my dad about some of the Bingo stories at both 6th street (pre 84) and River Rescue(?) (84?) buildings. WHen I get time I'll relate the smokey stories....

Quick one at RR with Larry calling.... when the same numbers kept coming up some old lady would yell "SHAKE YOUR BALLS". Larry just had to sit there and take it... :tongue:

Just talked to my dad about some of the Bingo stories at both 6th street (pre 84) and River Rescue(?) (84?) buildings. WHen I get time I'll relate the smokey stories....

Quick one at RR with Larry calling.... when the same numbers kept coming up some old lady would yell "SHAKE YOUR BALLS". Larry just had to sit there and take it... :tongue:/>

That was some brutal s**t! Those old ladies were murder! I remember going once, mainly to work the kitchen, but got stuck working the floor because there weren't enough people...apparently what I DIDN'T know was that when the old ladies saw a NEWBIE on the floor, it was purportedly GOOD LUCK, so I was selling specials like freaking CRAZY! I kept running out, and had to keep going out on the floor...next thing was I happened to be near some lady that called BINGO...so they said read off her card...she pointed the line to me so I read: B-10, I 29 N-FREE SPACE..immediately the whole place LOSES it! I go "what?" I was then informed that you didn't read "free space" :shutup: oh well....after that I'd never LEAVE the kitchen!