The history of the Westshoremen

If Mickey was smart...he would have given us a one point penalty for the stupid birds (and made Hershman buy him dinner or something) and given you guys a one point penalty penalty for wanting to regroup :tongue:

Equality of outcomes!!! :w00t:

I know this has come up before... but I think the thing that frustrated/ticked us (Sun) off the most that night was not the bird incident itself, nor the members of the Westshoremen, who clearly did not want things to go the way they did... but that DCA was threatening us with a delay-of-show penalty if we did what we asked to do, and go back under the back stands to regroup for a few minutes before coming back out to perform.

So, to sum up... LOL... we had absolutely NOTHING to do with the incident that delayed the show... all we wanted was a few extra minutes to re-focus a bit... but WE were the ones threatened with a penalty. :blink:/>

Years later, a DCA official... OK, it was Mickey... LOL... admitted to me that we were right, that DCA made a mistake, that if anyone should have been threatened with/given a penalty, it was Westshore. :w00t:/>

To date, that 1980 incident is still the wackiest thing I've ever seen at a DCA championship. I think the "Phoenix comedy show" on retreat in 1976 might be second on that list. :tongue:/>

Mickey loved to threaten fines. in 95, a corps I won't mention, but we'll say there were 3 of us left on the field, played to Cabs who won, then turned and marched off without acknowledging us,who also beat them. Mickey was yelling at them about fines for not saluting us. ( funny in 96 going off the fild, they passed us, but ignored us for their hometown fans. we won't mention names though :ph34r:/> )

then, of course, so thrilled about being 2nd, we raced up to the stands at Scranton and lit into Blues Tag. Then weplayed for Cabs.

as for wackiest retreat:

1991, Scranton finals. Who in their right ####### mind turns off the lights for retreat at DCA? The fireworks set the mountain in the outfield on fire, people walking onto the field, people walking off of the field...total insanity

I think I have written that the second we realized what was happening on the field, we expected a 16 bazillion point penalty and a score of negative 16 bazillion. :cool:

I think the Dom Fulginiti take the finger and not the whole hand approach was used by Walt Kelly, for which I would thank him for if I could. I think Larry gladly gave up the finger after that mess.

Really, we were expecting to have all our limbs amputated. :huh:

I think I have written that the second we realized what was happening on the field, we expected a 16 bazillion point penalty and a score of negative 16 bazillion. :cool:/>

I think the Dom Fulginiti take the finger and not the whole hand approach was used by Walt Kelly, for which I would thank him for if I could. I think Larry gladly gave up the finger after that mess.

Really, we were expecting to have all our limbs amputated. :huh:/>

and trust me, in some cases, Dom would have been more than happy to behead them LOL

1983 DCA retreat Also featured Larry, passing the hat through the retreat formation, Mickey and fines. :satisfied:/>

The best five bucks I ever threw into the hat at Westshore. The crowd loved it. :thumbup:

1977, the show in Hamden, CT, early June... we lost to Cabs by a slim margin... and for the first time I can ever remember, people were booing them, in favor of us, after the scores were announced.

Back in those days, at a number of shows the corps used to exit the field in order of appearance... not in order of placement. So... Cabs passed in review that night before we did.

As the winner, they were allowed to stop briefly and play to the crowd before heading out. So they did that.

Then it was our turn to leave. The crowd was going wild for us.

Now... the non-winners were not supposed to stop... if they did, it was a $100 fine. Our corps director Mike DeLorenzo walked over to Mickey and pre-paid the fine!!! "Here ya go, Mickey... we're stopping!!!" :tongue:

I knowJerry always carried $100s at retreat just in case

I'll bring some Tröegs! :tongue:/> (Now Boom Boom will show up!)

I SMELL TROEGS...come to my place I have a big backyard...I ALWAYS have beer here...imagine that.

Now... the non-winners were not supposed to stop... if they did, it was a $100 fine. Our corps director Mike DeLorenzo walked over to Mickey and pre-paid the fine!!! "Here ya go, Mickey... we're stopping!!!" :tongue:/>

LOL back of the corps would get the word... "Watch in front of you. When the whole corps gets to the track we're half stepping for the rest of the song" (Then full steps and get the Hades outta there).

Equality of outcomes!!! :w00t:/>

But it would have at least made him look like he 'had a set'! :thumbup: