The history of the Westshoremen

Also makes sense. Certain things John wrote, I've been discovering had for a lack of better terms, "fiddly detailed things" from the original source material that might (More like LIKELY) be taken out by others.

Listening to BD '82 for instance there are certain things here and there Downey took the croodles and bumps out of to clean things up in Chuck Corea that Westshore still has within their arrangement.

6 hours ago, BigW said:

Also makes sense. Certain things John wrote, I've been discovering had for a lack of better terms, "fiddly detailed things" from the original source material that might (More like LIKELY) be taken out by others.

Listening to BD '82 for instance there are certain things here and there Downey took the croodles and bumps out of to clean things up in Chuck Corea that Westshore still has within their arrangement.

One thing for sure... Screech never liked to water anything down.  LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

Please keep Mello player Craig Bowser in your prayers?! The posts on GoFundMe page say it all...so very ill. Love you my Westshoremen family!

Edited by boomboom

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, Fran Haring said:

One thing for sure... Screech never liked to water anything down.  LOL.

oh no...i remember him and Dan butting heads about that

On 5/14/2017 at 7:25 PM, boomboom said:

Please keep Mello player Craig Bowser in your prayers?! The posts on GoFundMe page say it all...so very ill. Love you my Westshoremen family!

dad and i donated

Been watching 1995 Westshore-

1: Reading the DCA scores from that season, seems the corps was running in the 4-5 slot most of the season then surged the last 2 weeks. This due to the show being as tough as it was musically for the brass or just to put everything together coherently?

2: Is that a young Stansfield on the sideline?

On 5/23/2017 at 4:03 PM, BigW said:

1: Reading the DCA scores from that season, seems the corps was running in the 4-5 slot most of the season then surged the last 2 weeks. This due to the show being as tough as it was musically for the brass or just to put everything together coherently?

That was an interesting season in DCA.

The Caballeros ran well ahead of the pack for most of the summer.  Their percussion section was good, but not the strong point of that corps... the horn line and visual program were absolutely stellar. 

And IMO, the Empire Statesmen's show that summer was, for lack of a better term, a bit stale... at least it came across that way to me. Good performance... crowd appeal as always... but it seemed that extra spark was missing. 

So... I guess what I'm trying to say is, Westshoremen had a path to 2nd place. They just had to find it as the summer went on. They certainly turned a lot of heads early on, coming out with guns blazing after a lackluster 1994 season that ended with them fortunate to hold onto 10th place. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I saw that 1994 show at Allentown. I can't and won't mince words about it. I cringed. It was painful. It was a very, very hard thing to watch for me.

The one thing I did see that night was Bush, which I felt to that date was the best DCA show and corps ever. That show was a brilliantly thought out and designed effort, and they performed the bejeezus out of it, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 4:03 PM, BigW said:

2: Is that a young Stansfield on the sideline?

started mostly sitting in 4.......then in August we finally caught Bush, and then Empire at the end. Drums led all year, brass climbed but weren't going to catch Cabs....visual was the massive growth both in the performance and GE captions. we needed feet cleaners earlier in the year, and it took a while to catch up.

IMO, the night after prelims rehearsal was the one that pushed us to second. We took the entire show....set by set...one dry, one wet....do the next set....keep adding up then doing chunks....we started at 5. ended at midnight. We were focused, we were exhausted. Then jerry said " be here at 11:30, rehearsal is noon to 3. So finals day while others went 8 hours after partying saturday night, we crawled from Lake Lehman HS to the hotel, crashed, and had a great 3 hour rehearsal, went back to the hotel, hit Italian Fest, headed to the stadium and threw the hell down. We had easily 100 people watching the drums warm up behind the ski shack. Alumni, fans, even a few off duty judges.

and yes, thats a young Stansy.