The history of the Westshoremen

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, Fran Haring said:

Heh... in 1978, Jack Meehan came East to work with us (Sunrisers) after the DCI season was done,  leading up to DCA championships.

One rehearsal, he told us in the French horn line that he needed us to play louder in a couple of spots.

Of course, telling our Frenchie line to "play louder" was like throwing raw meat to the lions.  :tongue:

LOL we had a HS band director and volume wasn't a concern as much as "Don't lose the TONE".  So if you could play loud and with a good tone in the RFL (real flipping loud) parts of the show.... lets just say  WSM is where I really learned to listen to my self play.

He still plays that way, Jim. Did a New Cumberland town band fill-in and sat roughly ahead of him. I realized that there was no way I could try and level up with that on my Euphonium playing into the stage ceiling and curtains and just kept tight and played within the horn. Corps instinct told me to try and match... but I knew that wasn't gonna work. J.B. said I did a nice job sight reading the charts, made me feel good. They play some nice, nice stuff in that band, not the normal town band fare, but very good stuff. The "Mary Poppins" medley arranged by Alfred Reed they did is wicked. Grade 5-6 stuff, bizarre key changes- 5 sharps kind of stuff... I was hanging on and thankful I practiced sharp scales religiously as a kid which saved me through some parts of that piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished my first bottle of Sammichlaus Schwarzes from Schloss Eggenberg. Breski's has it. If you can get it, and afford it... DO IT.

This stuff was at one time the record holder for the most Alchohol content in any beer at 14%. It's really delicious. It's the bee's knees.

Definitely a 2 thumbs up for me. If we'd have had this BITD... Either we'd have gone broke drinking it, or just never rehearsed.:biggrin:

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Just finished my first bottle of Sammichlaus Schwarzes from Schloss Eggenberg. Breski's has it. If you can get it, and afford it... DO IT.

This stuff was at one time the record holder for the most Alchohol content in any beer at 14%. It's really delicious. It's the bee's knees.

Definitely a 2 thumbs up for me. If we'd have had this BITD... Either we'd have gone broke drinking it, or just never rehearsed.:biggrin:

14 percent.... definitely an "I'm not driving anywhere" brew!!!!  LOL

Sounds delicious.  I'll take your recommendation!!!

I have one more bottle left of "Heart of Darkness" Stout from Magic Hat. It's a limited release... hard to find, I'm lucky I did. Brenda and I tried it a couple of years ago at an event we were at and loved it... haven't found it since until now. Quite robust... great for the colder evenings. Only 5.7 percent ABV, but a lot of flavor.

i can't remember the last time i had a beer.

and it's been too long ( 10 days) since I had any Jack

• 2 months later...

Didn't quite know where to put this, so I figured this is as good a spot as any.  LOL

Plus I figured W especially would get a kick out of this.

The legendary jazz/blues trombonist Jack Teagarden and his All-Stars, circa early 1950s... "Jack Armstrong Blues."

Check out Jack at the top... playing with just the trombone slide into a drink glass. Amazing. I believe he pioneered that technique.

The other soloists: Marvin Ash on piano, Heinie Beau on sax, Charlie Teagarden on trumpet, Don Bonnee on clarinet, and Ray Bauduc on drums... chewing gum the entire time. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8D46tJuFM&index=7&list=RDlF2w8xR__J0

Edited by Fran Haring

On 10/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, Fran Haring said:

Heh... in 1978, Jack Meehan came East to work with us (Sunrisers) after the DCI season was done,  leading up to DCA championships.

One rehearsal, he told us in the French horn line that he needed us to play louder in a couple of spots.

Of course, telling our Frenchie line to "play louder" was like throwing raw meat to the lions.  :tongue:

RAW MEAT!!!   YOU WANT RAW MEAT? Remember being told not to play too loud at that disco gig  we did out on the Island?  Raw Meat? Dust from the ceiling was coming down in waves and settling in the drinks of the patrons!

Edited by Bucbari
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

RAW MEAT!!!   YOU WANT RAW MEAT? Remember being told not to play too loud at that disco gig  we did out on the Island?  Raw Meat? Dust from the ceiling was coming down in waves and settling in the drinks of the patrons!

They shouldn't have told us that!!

Edited by Bucbari

42 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

They shouldn't have told us that!!

I completely agree.  LOL.