The history of the Westshoremen

Yep, Nah 'Lins was '78. I stopped in '80 so I missed the fun trips after that.

Remember the trip down took something like 23 hours 45 minutes. Bus #2 which I was on, lost it's A/C in Alabama because of all the dust Bus #1 kicked up. Brand new buses and only the one front and one back window opened. Buses went from brand new to broken in to OMG in one trip.

Also remember if you were on the first floor of the motel the water bugs opened the doors for you (Southern Hospitality).

Best of all I remember Chicago Connection applauding us when we won. Talked to a few members later on (the next year?). They were not just being polite by clapping, they were really glad one of the "little corps" won.

Gotta find my snapshots of the trip....

i remember borrowing your gong in 93 and breaking it....sorry

tat's cool, you made up for when your corps wanted to kill Ricky Lee back in 82. so we're even now.

ah 80 in Boston.

Tom McShane coming out of the pool.

(to lifeguard) "ma'am i found someones swimsuit"

lifeguard: "sir, i think it's your swimsuit"

McShane: " what do you know it is mine! hey quit looking at me like that you pervert!"

hey Rick....i was just waondering, and i know you lurk...how did the legend of Superman start?

Two final flashbacks on the 1978 AL Championships in N.O. Least I think they're final unless some other memories kink in :wall:

1) Anyone remember who started the "Hawthorne is coming and they are PO'ed" rumor? Day or so before the show a rumor got started that the Cabs were coming to New Orleans to defend their AL title. The details were that the Cabs found out that Westshoremen and Chicago Connection were the only Sr corps competing and to have either one of these corps take their title would be an insult. After we won, we were taking the buses back to the motel. Around the corner comes a local bus that had really seen better days. Sure enough someone had to say "Oh look here comes Hawthorne, think they're a little late!".

2) OK, the statute of limitations has run out on this one. With apologies to the late Chicago Connection. Joe Morella(sp?) was one of the drum judges and actually rode to the show on one of our buses. On the way over heard him telling some of our drummers. "Look unless you fall apart you guys should win so let's give the people a good show. If you see this (hand gesture) it means back off the volume, it you see this (another hand gesture) bring the volume up. If you see, etc, etc." Joe still judged the show fairly but was trying to improve the sound for the fans. And playing in the Super Dome, ANYTHING would help the sound in there.

tat's cool, you made up for when your corps wanted to kill Ricky Lee back in 82. so we're even now.

i dont know what your talking about :P :wall:

i dont know what your talking about :P :wall:

I do, I remember that night. I still get a laugh from that one. B)

Edited by buzzgok

i also remember Superman/Ricky trying to stop a train on the hill behind the stadium in Sunbury in 81.

that poor train.

Hmmmmm lots of great stories / memories....

Hmmmmmmmm Superman

We were at a show I believe in Jersey somewhere and the show was a Drum Major only retreat. I had gotten sunburned that day and after we preformed the corp was sitting on the hill waiting for the scores. I was at the top of the hill in Red shorts and a budwiser towel soaked and around me (like a cape) to cool off the sunburn. Next thing i know the corp was singing the superman theme and next thing i know i was diving (flying) down the hill. Sky was sitting next to us and wanted me to do it again. I declined and next thing i know i had about 4 of them coming after me. Now come on back in those days don't challange me to a race. By the time they got to the top of the hill I was on the other side of the stadium and intercepted by some guys in Hawthorn. Once Sky caught up the guys in Hawthorn said you have to go through us to get to him..... Thus Superman was born....

#### now that was some years ago.

Rick (Ricky Lee / Superman) Schomburg

Westshoremen (1976 - 1983)

Reading (1984 - 1985)

i remember one year at Hershey...the corps formed a runway.

and Superman ran down yhe middle andhis goal was to clear the bushes along Hersheypark Dr.

i think you made it. and yes, you were fast.

so, i get the cd of 83 the other day...i think i could hear your finger break at finals