The history of the Westshoremen

,...................so I was talking to a guy at DCA prelims about the RCA circuit, and contests held prior to that,.................and the topic strayed to the evolution of the Westshoremen,.........................could someone provide a simple chronology of dates and name changes/mergers across the history of the corps that I could pass on?

go back and read the very first post in this thread.

I have read it,.................but a SIMPLE chronology was what I was looking for,....

,...................so I was talking to a guy at DCA prelims about the RCA circuit, and contests held prior to that,.................and the topic strayed to the evolution of the Westshoremen,.........................could someone provide a simple chronology of dates and name changes/mergers across the history of the corps that I could pass on?

go back and read the very first post in this thread.

I have read it,.................but a SIMPLE chronology was what I was looking for,....

Jeff doesn't do anything simple! :P

simple eh:

ok in 1946 the Longshoremen are formed in Wormleysburg

also, in Millersburg the Bonnie Scots are formed.

in 1952 the Longshoremen change the name to the Westshoremen

in 1959 the Westshoremen and The Bonnie Scots merge to become the Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots

in 1974 the corps reorganizes as Westshoremen Inc.

Inc gets dropped in the late 70's and just become the Westshoremen.

corps folded after 72

came back in 74

folded after 83 came back late 84

folded in october 94, came back in Decemeber 94

folded after 97, came back as a mini corps in 98

back on the field 99-01

inactive since then as a field corps

alumni corps born n 02

IS Rose giving him "kick-backs" for pluging it? hahaha!!!

I gotta order mine..is the DVD problem resolved?

I'm actually surprised that he didnt' provide a link to the DVD hahaha! :P
yeah but this time i mean it :P

Give him time, he'll do it!

Rose just looks at me, and says she feels old, because she remembers when she used to yell at me for doing cannonballs off their diving board into the pool

simple eh:

folded after 83 came back late 84

Late '84 as in reformed as a parade corps day after the Hershey show (I'll have to check the date). Think the decision to do '84 Prelims was made during a break in the Forth of July parades in a Maryland State Park.

1984 - AKA the "Six Week Corps"....

Figured I'd better type it down before I forget it... :worthy:

i think you're right. I believe the corps did a standstil at Reading the night before the show that was actually better than prelims

i think you're right. I believe the corps did a standstil at Reading the night before the show that was actually better than prelims

Ohhh crap, now I remember doing a show at Reading but not sure if 84 or 85. And I have no idea if it was standstill as I was carrying the American Flag and couldn't watch the show. I'll have to dig out the pics of the corps taken after 84/85 Prelims to see what year I had the AF and what year I carried a saber (not THAT'S a scary thought).

i dont remember it being standstill. i remember 84, saying wow, if they can do that again tomorrow, they can sneak in

That's exactly right! We were going fairly throughout the concert season, Unfortunately it didn't generate enough interest to get some numbers...

Anyway.... but I distinctly remember being at City Island the day of the Danville 84 show, and there was talk of being a parade corps. That was the point that several of us (who DID do some time in parade corps) decided to bow out gracefully after we were given the blessing to go help other corps get their numbers up. (Although, I WAS digging my new role as a baritone! hahaha!)

I always wondered what happened to the whole parade corps concept after we left, though?

The Corp actually was existing until right before Danville in 1984 when it was decided that they were going to be just a parade corp. It was later on in the season that a decision was made to field a corp for DCA's that year.