The history of the Westshoremen

Ahh, the old blue beast that the corps had approx. 75-83.....

It was actually a refridgerated van which meant the inside wasn't nearly as roomy as it looked on the outside because of the thick walls. There was a thermometer on the outside that was totally rusted (couldn't even read it). Benny asked my dad to look at it because dad was a auto mechanic. Dad took one look and refused to go near the truck since it was so beat.

If the truck was parked downhill on a step hill ever now and the trannie would lock up. Benny would crawl under the truck with a hammer handle and big hammer and start beating "somewhere" until the trannie unlocked. Used to scare the #### out of Paul and me because we thought the truck would slip and roll over Bennie.

The only seat in front was the drivers seat. Benny put an old metal trunk down on the floor so Paul G and I had a place to sit. Surprised we never got pulled over in the five or so years I rode with Benny.

Friggin' spare tire was buried in the middle of the van portion. We blew a tire coming back from the Coal Region on I-81. God must have been the only reason that truck never rolled. Took us about 90 minutes to unload half the crap from the back, change tires and reload all the crap.

PS - Before I forget, Benny used his pickup truck (with cap) in 74/early 75 to haul the drums. Can't remember if everything fit.

well thats better than the hearse they used back in the 60's

LOL, didn't know about that one....

Hearses were also used by Reilly (figures if you know that corps image), George Washington Carver Gay Blades (maybe the only all black Sr corps) and Reading (great pic supplied by Don Sollinger in History of DC Vol II).

Hmmm, think I'll start a thread on RAMD and here and see who else pops up.

Did I ever mention I've belonged to the Antique Automobile Club of America since before I discoverd Drum Corps. :P

a lot of corps used hearses back in the day.....with the size corps were, everything fit in easily.

a lot of corps used hearses back in the day.....with the size corps were, everything fit in easily.

Let's see now, one (only one) bass drum, couple of snares, couple of tenor drums and..... OK, how many cymbal players (AKA plate bangers) back then.....

AND NOTHING ELSE..... :worthy:

But I do remember a set of double drums used in a few parades in '74. Looked like two single headed bass drums laid on their side and bolted together. #### they even looked heavy.

that was the first multi tenor setup...which evolved into triple, then quads, quints, sixes you name it

I remember hearing about the hearse! hahaha

My first experience in drum corps in Hershey, I had a modified set of "doubles" that someone bolted a third drum on to. The original set was 18/20 and someone bolted the 16" "small drum" to the front to make me a LARGE and HEAVY set of toms! (probably why I have back problems) I'll never forget Brian (Schell) opening up the HUGE coffin case and presenting me with them! I almost ####! The 20" tom had a bass drum head (big LUDWIG logo across the top) on it...I guess I wanted to play bad enough, so I carried them until the "field season" when the 3rd guy quit, and I got the standard (well for the time) 14, 16, 18's! (which were about 20lbs lighter) hard to believe that in 85 I carried 10, 12, 13's with Reading!

that was the first multi tenor setup...which evolved into triple, then quads, quints, sixes you name it

i remember Hershey having those beasts! and dad skipped from rudimental bass to triple when he went to Blatimore, and man did he used to complain about the size.....

til he saw some guy in Matadors carrying steel drums

i remember Hershey having those beasts! and dad skipped from rudimental bass to triple when he went to Blatimore, and man did he used to complain about the size.....

til he saw some guy in Matadors carrying steel drums

Cabs had steel drums but each guy only carried one. Mats had 'em but each guy had two.

And Wally was at the '75 Mount Carmel exhibition when one of the Mats steel drum players keeled over on the field (first freakin' show of the year). Paul Geiger and I were standing at the fence around the 40 yard line and it happened almost in front of us. The corps was moving into formation for the concert number and the guy just crumpled. Bunch of guys ran up to help and were talking to him but it looked like they didn't know how to unhook the guy without hurting him. Guess his back just couldn't handle the weight. All during the unhooking and getting the guy off the field, the Mats were blasting out their concert number. Whadda a freaky scene that was!

Ok Mr. B... Here is a question since my brain is getting old and i can't think straight:

1. What year or years did we play marching Tymp

2. What year did i play toms..

Brain going down the S($((

PS... i just got my new DVD (First One Didn't work). They did a great job on the DVD... makes me think we may have to get some of the guys from my day in the Alumni corp next year... :)