The history of the Westshoremen

LOL let's talk old on the East Shore(and get it out of my system).... Dad passed out last year in the heat and taken to Osteopathic, first time in the hospital since early 1950s. Nurse asks "do you know where you are at" and he sez "Park Sheeshlys farm" and she about drops a load. Then he said that the hospital is on the old farmland he knew when growing up a few miles away. Look on her face would have been classic if it wasn't such a serious question.

Gad.... I remember Hills and K-Mart (on Parks farmland AGAIN).... being built and people saying they'd kill each others business being across the street from each other. And now it's Colonial Commons and look at that disaster zone. Thought of that when Kris went to a follow up appt for her arm surgery at Pen State Hershey back on Nyes Rd (by one of the 4 elementary schools I went to).

Sorry John... no Westshore stories.... but did find my 1978 AL reports from the Linglestown Legion. Need to check my scanner and try to get these on line (where's my password?).

You call it the East Mall, you're old... heh heh <$1 to Beavis & Butthead>

s/ Guy who remembers the Colonial Park Shopping Center (before the roof was put on the name changed to Mall). :ph34r:/>

amen, says the guy who remembers shopping at Korvettes at the original Camp Hill Shopping Center, before it became a mall, then back into a shopping center

amen, says the guy who remembers shopping at Korvettes at the original Camp Hill Shopping Center, before it became a mall, then back into a shopping center

Actually WSM related as that's where we used to catch the buses for trips. Bought my Chuck Mangione "Live At the Hollywood Bowl" double album there before we left and then had to be careful with it the entire trip. Air hocky against Jim Shade in the basement(?) Arcade. Ex-girlfriends mom worked at Slichners(sp). Oh well... two out of three good memories. :ph34r:/>

Geiger story... had lunch (was with Benny so had to eat lunch) before a trip at the HoJos in the parking lot. Paul gets a hamburger that was pretty rare. He looks at it and mutters "For the price you'd think they could afford the gas to cook it". Cuz he's looking at the burger he didn't notice the waitress had come over and was standing right beside him. She must have heard the remark because she looked really PO'ed... :rock:/>

Ben - where were we catching the Wolfes buses when you started? When I came back in 84-85 it was at CV and can't remember where we were in 78 and 79. Years blending together....

Edit: stray memory of downstairs at Murphys(?) at the West Shore Shoping Center when I moved to CH in 1981. Then the stairs area was closed off and floored over. One of the store in that area has to be sitting over a freakin' open pit of a basement without realizing it... :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

when they made it the "mall" after Boscovs came in ( and it took years), they pretty much gutted everything and started over. such a weird layout

when they made it the "mall" after Boscovs came in ( and it took years), they pretty much gutted everything and started over. such a weird layout

You mean before or after they removed the inside hallway and food court? Nothing like having to drive around the outside and take your chances getting clobbered at those idiotic turns to get to the bypass. Lot safer when you'd park at one end and walk inside.

You call it the East Mall, you're old... heh heh <$1 to Beavis & Butthead>

s/ Guy who remembers the Colonial Park Shopping Center (before the roof was put on the name changed to Mall). :ph34r:/>

Yeah, no ####! Remember when they first put the roof on, and they STILL had the rolling hills walking through the place!?!?

Yeah, East Mall..what about it? :thumbup:

LOL let's talk old on the East Shore(and get it out of my system).... Dad passed out last year in the heat and taken to Osteopathic, first time in the hospital since early 1950s. Nurse asks "do you know where you are at" and he sez "Park Sheeshlys farm" and she about drops a load. Then he said that the hospital is on the old farmland he knew when growing up a few miles away. Look on her face would have been classic if it wasn't such a serious question.

Gad.... I remember Hills and K-Mart (on Parks farmland AGAIN).... being built and people saying they'd kill each others business being across the street from each other. And now it's Colonial Commons and look at that disaster zone. Thought of that when Kris went to a follow up appt for her arm surgery at Pen State Hershey back on Nyes Rd (by one of the 4 elementary schools I went to).

Sorry John... no Westshore stories.... but did find my 1978 AL reports from the Linglestown Legion. Need to check my scanner and try to get these on line (where's my password?).

Christ... I remember when Nyes Road was basically a single lane road where the stoners went....was apparently the perfect length to smoke a joint from one end to the other...well so I've heard :rolleyes:

Actually WSM related as that's where we used to catch the buses for trips. Bought my Chuck Mangione "Live At the Hollywood Bowl" double album there before we left and then had to be careful with it the entire trip. Air hocky against Jim Shade in the basement(?) Arcade. Ex-girlfriends mom worked at Slichners(sp). Oh well... two out of three good memories. :ph34r:/>/>

Geiger story... had lunch (was with Benny so had to eat lunch) before a trip at the HoJos in the parking lot. Paul gets a hamburger that was pretty rare. He looks at it and mutters "For the price you'd think they could afford the gas to cook it". Cuz he's looking at the burger he didn't notice the waitress had come over and was standing right beside him. She must have heard the remark because she looked really PO'ed... :rock:/>/>

Ben - where were we catching the Wolfes buses when you started? When I came back in 84-85 it was at CV and can't remember where we were in 78 and 79. Years blending together....

Edit: stray memory of downstairs at Murphys(?) at the West Shore Shoping Center when I moved to CH in 1981. Then the stairs area was closed off and floored over. One of the store in that area has to be sitting over a freakin' open pit of a basement without realizing it... :shutup:/>

I caught the busses at CV 79-83 when I marched....

I worked at Murphy's at the West Shore center the last month before it closed! I worked at the "east: mall store, and once they announced that their store was closing, people left in DROVES (can hardly blame them) I was "technically" the stock room manager the last month they were open...I was in charge of packing the stuff that was left and having it shipped back to the warehouse. (and running a cash register when I had free time) Fun stuff...dated a chick from there for a while :thumbup:

Yeah, no ####! Remember when they first put the roof on, and they STILL had the rolling hills walking through the place!?!?

Next time you're at Colonial Park look to the east (not a Christmas reference :tongue: ) at the crappy looking small buildings and big brick house next to the Mall. Grandfather owned that area and the businesses there and thank God my old man sold 'em after granddad died. But we lived in the big house (like a prison) when the roof was put on. One night the roofers left a tar bucket fire lit and caught part of the roof on fire after dark. CP Fire Dept couldn't go on the roof because of holes so they just stood on the ladders, sprayed water and watch #### burn. Watched the whole thing with binonculars from my bedroom window..... About the only good (if sick) memoriy I have of the place. I was in Jr high at the time so ca 1970,,,,,

Always park on Boscovs roof when we go there (not often) to check out how bad it looks....

Next time you're at Colonial Park look to the east (not a Christmas reference :tongue:/> ) at the crappy looking small buildings and big brick house next to the Mall. Grandfather owned that area and the businesses there and thank God my old man sold 'em after granddad died. But we lived in the big house (like a prison) when the roof was put on. One night the roofers left a tar bucket fire lit and caught part of the roof on fire after dark. CP Fire Dept couldn't go on the roof because of holes so they just stood on the ladders, sprayed water and watch #### burn. Watched the whole thing with binonculars from my bedroom window..... About the only good (if sick) memoriy I have of the place. I was in Jr high at the time so ca 1970,,,,,

Always park on Boscovs roof when we go there (not often) to check out how bad it looks....

Look to the East? from which lot? (and which way is east...off hand?)

I remember the fire at Shenk and Tittle, but not the roof fire... I think some friends of ours were supposed to have their wedding reception at the Cafeteria that used to be there...I think it was somehow tied into the chain store at that end of the mall somehow...forget which one...

I ALSO remember in the EARLY 70's when they had Alaska-Land! The ice cream place! (well, and restaurant) They had some crazy stuff go on there whenever someone ordered this one sundae and they used to bring it out in a freaking DOG SLED! :blink: IIRC, it was mostly high school groups, and people with birthday's...great place!