The history of the Westshoremen

Look to the East? from which lot? (and which way is east...off hand?)

I remember the fire at Shenk and Tittle, but not the roof fire... I think some friends of ours were supposed to have their wedding reception at the Cafeteria that used to be there...I think it was somehow tied into the chain store at that end of the mall somehow...forget which one...

I ALSO remember in the EARLY 70's when they had Alaska-Land! The ice cream place! (well, and restaurant) They had some crazy stuff go on there whenever someone ordered this one sundae and they used to bring it out in a freaking DOG SLED! :blink:/> IIRC, it was mostly high school groups, and people with birthday's...great place!

LOL, just talking to my wife about Harvest House Cafeteria which I think was at the Sears end of the Shopping Center. Maybe Alaskaland was next to go in there but not sure of the location. Think was in there once or twice. Trying to remember S&T but remember getting a case of oil at Joes the Motorists Friend (whadda name) after I got my license so late 73/early 74.

East.... away from the river.. towards Colonial Commons.... on the same side of Rt 22.

Think I lived there 69-72.... moved just before Hurricane Agnes.....

Oh yeah.... Bowling Alley almost besides Boscovs near Colonial Rd and movie theater near back end of Boscovs. Both in the middle of the parking lot and both torn down.... And the BEER STORE that used to be near Sears. :thumbup:

#### you two are old

:ph34r:/>/>

LOL, was at Karns last night and ran into a member (aged about 70) of the old car club who always asks if I'm retired. Said I'd think about it when I hit 60 and go part time.

response was

"You're not 60 yet?"

<where's the smilie giving the finger> :shutup:

2 years ago at band rehearsal I told a kid to feel like it a tune by Rush.

He looked at me and asked who Rush was.

I made him run laps

• Like 1

LOL, just talking to my wife about Harvest House Cafeteria which I think was at the Sears end of the Shopping Center. Maybe Alaskaland was next to go in there but not sure of the location. Think was in there once or twice. Trying to remember S&T but remember getting a case of oil at Joes the Motorists Friend (whadda name) after I got my license so late 73/early 74.

East.... away from the river.. towards Colonial Commons.... on the same side of Rt 22.

Think I lived there 69-72.... moved just before Hurricane Agnes.....

Oh yeah.... Bowling Alley almost besides Boscovs near Colonial Rd and movie theater near back end of Boscovs. Both in the middle of the parking lot and both torn down.... And the BEER STORE that used to be near Sears. :thumbup:/>/>

Yeah, remember the bowling alley... I think Harvest House (forgot the name) was down where the food court is now?

Reason I remember the bowling alley is my brother used to play in a "traveling" league way back...They had a team...I think most of the alley's in the area had a team, and every Sunday we went to a different place to bowl. ((gotta love the late 60's/early 70's) :thumbup:/>

I also remember the movie theater...but I think that was still open in the early 80's....

East...all I can picture East is the Sear Tier and Auto store...Wimmers...etc...? Do you mean BEHIND those places?? Wasn't there a library behind the back part of the mall, also?

Beer store near Sears? IN the mall?

Edited by Jaminbenb

Yeah, remember the bowling alley... I think Harvest House (forgot the name) was down where the food court is now?

Reason I remember the bowling alley is my brother used to play in a "traveling" league way back...They had a team...I think most of the alley's in the area had a team, and every Sunday we went to a different place to bowl. ((gotta love the late 60's/early 70's) :thumbup:/>/>/>/>

I also remember the movie theater...but I think that was still open in the early 80's....

East...all I can picture East is the Sear Tier and Auto store...Wimmers...etc...? Do you mean BEHIND those places?? Wasn't there a library behind the back part of the mall, also?

Beer store near Sears? IN the mall?

Forget when the movie theater went under but remember being there when Patton came out (saw it there) and a really POS movie called "Murder By Death" which was mid 70s.

East... yep between Sears Tire & Auto and Wimmers was the area where my granddad had his businesses. Garage right other side of Sears Tire store (still there now another tire place - maybe still Avelinos) and resturant (last I knew a car wash) just past the garage. Then Care Street (my old address), Trullingers crap store (bought my comics there) and then was Wimmers (if I got the name right).

Think Library is stil there and used to be in the Mall at the Sears end.... Kinda a hole in the wall and might not have been the size of Camp Hills old library. Oh yeah... library near the beer store....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 years ago at band rehearsal I told a kid to feel like it a tune by Rush.

He looked at me and asked who Rush was.

I made him run laps

AS you should have! :doh:

Forget when the movie theater went under but remember being there when Patton came out (saw it there) and a really POS movie called "Murder By Death" which was mid 70s.

East... yep between Sears Tire & Auto and Wimmers was the area where my granddad had his businesses. Garage right other side of Sears Tire store (still there now another tire place - maybe still Avelinos) and resturant (last I knew a car wash) just past the garage. Then Care Street (my old address), Trullingers crap store (bought my comics there) and then was Wimmers (if I got the name right).

Think Library is stil there and used to be in the Mall at the Sears end.... Kinda a hole in the wall and might not have been the size of Camp Hills old library. Oh yeah... library near the beer store....

I'll have to look next time I'm out that way...can't say I've ever noticed any houses over there.

I'm trying to remember the beer places my old man used to go to...my grandparents had a "dairy store" up in Elmira NY, and he used to stock up whenever we went to visit with his "homer" beer (Stegmaiers) Same when we went to the Wilkes Barre area...but once some place in Harrisburg started carrying it he'd go out of his way to get it. I wonder if that was one of the places that "imported" it...

AS you should have! doh.gif

well they wouldn't let me hit em

Used to work near a guy in the building who is waaaay into doing the bugle calls for various functions on base and off. Guess he's OK but need some social skills (like not blabbing ad nasium about something when you're busy).

Anyway he must have a obit checker for drum corps.... every time someone with Westshoremen is in the paper her emails me a copy.... :doh:

Checking the age, I have no idea who the man was but might have been a distant in-law to my in-laws.....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kenneth M. Kann, 88, of Camp Hill, died Wednesday, December 05, 2012, at Holy Spirit Hospital, East Pennsboro Twp.

He retired as Assistant Comptroller for the General Accounting Office of the Budget, Commonwealth of PA; a Navy Veteran of WWII having served honorably in the European and Pacific Theaters; a 78 year member of Grace United Methodist Church, Lemoyne; a member of the Masonic Lodge, Harrisburg Consistory, Zembo Shrine and its Luncheon Club, Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Harrisburg Forest #43; a member of the Westshoreman(sic - jrf) Drum and Bugle Corps and the former Co-ed Club of the YMCA.

Born September 4, 1924, in Harrisburg, he was the son of the late Elmer and Mary (Brehm) Kann.

Memorial services will be held at 11 AM on Tuesday in his church with the Rev. John L. Shellenberger, Jr., his pastor, officiating. Burial will be in St. John's Cemetery, Hampden Twp. Visitation will be held one hour prior to services in the church.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to his church, 313 Herman Avenue, Lemoyne, PA 17043.

For more information or to send messages of condolence, please visit www.Parthemore.com.