The history of the Westshoremen

I've been in contact with the Beran family. they are digging for it. Al had so many recordings they have no clue where to start looking.

Cooool! I hope he can find that one!! Is Al still around????

I have old tapes somewhere...but they aren't very listenable from my recollection...(taped on an old hand held MONO tape recorder!)

I actually think I have a tape of when the corps was STILL singing the WHOLE song "Music" back from '81 I guess it was....(from one of the spring concerts)

I gotta dig big time myself, I have a tape of when I was in the Chocolatiers that I want to transfer to disc to preserve it. When I moved last year...actually the year before jeez time flies...everything went into a box, and I have NO clue where anything is anymore.

Al sadly passed away in 94.

i'll take that 81 tape tho...i was ###### when Larry changed that!

Al sadly passed away in 94.

i'll take that 81 tape tho...i was ###### when Larry changed that!

Bummer...what a great guy...94 huh...I'm that far out of it!

Yeah, I gotta find that...if you saw how many tapes I have! (not including the cassettes of DCI from back when they used to play the WHOLE thing on PBS...I had several years on cassette that I taped right off of the TV hahaha...such crappy quality, but you could at least hear them!) There's a box with all of them in it, I gotta get through those...there's some "classic" stuff in there!

I also have a couple drum judge tapes that I accumulated over the years. One in particular was Bob O'Connor (dis is Bawb O Conna) where he hacked something up every few minutes! Funny stuff!!!

I find all of this SO interesting. I consider Harrisburg my home town. I lived and grew up pretty much down the street from the State Street Bridge. Living in a town with SO much drum corps history and never knowing it. Then to move to California and get involved with the Velvet Knights.

I still think I had a member as a 2nd grade teacher. We had after school clubs that had a wide variety of topics. I don't know why to this day that I was pulled out of an art class and put into a marching class. We were taught how to march in straight lines and do gate turns, down the halls of the school.

Here I am almost 30 years later still involved in this marching thing.

I still think I had a member as a 2nd grade teacher.

Do you remember his name??? one of us probably marched with him! (and has sordid stories about him hahaha!)

VK huh? B) Loved the high tops!! Probably the most sensible marching shoes ever made! hahaha!!!

if you can get a name that'd rock. i'm trying to getdad to log on here...he has killer stories.

i'm trying to getdad to log on here...he has killer stories.

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY!!!

Your dad's a trip!!! Bring him along for beers! :mmm:

Oh...almost forgot! I DID find that tape with the corps singing "Music"..it runs a tad fast, but it's really cool! and it's the WHOLE arrangement singing and horns...It's much different than what ended up on the "album"...I'm so used to hearing the "who want's a touchdown...Ray want's a touchdown.." part into Impossible Dream! I have to see if I can plug it in on my computer and try to slow it down!

Wild stuff!!!

"music was my first love, and it will be my last,

music of the future, the music of the past'

i forget thenext line. i was 12 that year :P

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

I don't remember the next part, do you Benny?

i know in 87 they sang the whole thing. i'll look for it.

and yes they then segued into the impossible Dream