The history of the Westshoremen

Yeah, they were respectable in 88. That year gave me my "distinction" of having beaten everyone, and BEING beaten by everyone! :tongue: (since that year was technically the first time I was beaten by a Westshoremen corps, when I was in Hershey, we didn't compete, so....)

What year did Schell and Rook take the drumline over again? Some of this stuff is all running together...

Yeah, they were respectable in 88. That year gave me my "distinction" of having beaten everyone, and BEING beaten by everyone! :tongue:/> (since that year was technically the first time I was beaten by a Westshoremen corps, when I was in Hershey, we didn't compete, so....)

What year did Schell and Rook take the drumline over again? Some of this stuff is all running together...

at Bucs? I think 91.

88 was ok....when I look at the show, it seems the corps was struggling for an identity...some pop with the intro of Funeral for a Friend by Elton John, Colas Beuregnon kinda classical, Claires Song by the Yellow jackets, the drum solo into Take the A train, and then One night Only from Dreamgirls.

89 solidified it...newer jazz stuff. Some of it by big bands, but not the swing kind of stuff from the early 80's. Of course Thurston writing the drum parts couldn't hurt.

at Bucs? I think 91.

88 was ok....when I look at the show, it seems the corps was struggling for an identity...some pop with the intro of Funeral for a Friend by Elton John, Colas Beuregnon kinda classical, Claires Song by the Yellow jackets, the drum solo into Take the A train, and then One night Only from Dreamgirls.

89 solidified it...newer jazz stuff. Some of it by big bands, but not the swing kind of stuff from the early 80's. Of course Thurston writing the drum parts couldn't hurt.

Was it Bucs? Like I said, stuff runs together since I'm away from it...I think I sort of pizzed off Brian with the severity of how I walked away from it as well! :devil:

I got to see them a few times in 88...someone I worked with marched in the guard, and we used to discuss stuff that happened on the weekends...this person also informed me of a few people that used to refer to me as a traitor, funny stuff :tongue: I had to explain the whole set of circumstances surrounding that distinction :blink: I think the question posed after one show was "why are you talking to the traitor?" :thumbup:

Was it Bucs? Like I said, stuff runs together since I'm away from it...I think I sort of pizzed off Brian with the severity of how I walked away from it as well! :devil:/>

I got to see them a few times in 88...someone I worked with marched in the guard, and we used to discuss stuff that happened on the weekends...this person also informed me of a few people that used to refer to me as a traitor, funny stuff :tongue:/> I had to explain the whole set of circumstances surrounding that distinction :blink:/> I think the question posed after one show was "why are you talking to the traitor?" :thumbup:/>

I was surprised in 2000 I didn't get a bunch of #### for going to teach Bucs, but then again I think they knew my position on things and it probably wasn't worth the effort.

I think in 85 and 86, Ron hess and DaveGambal did stuff with Westshore, then Steve F took over in 87 and 88. 89 Dan took over, and I know this may anger some, but really, 89-97 doesn't happen without Dan.

I was surprised in 2000 I didn't get a bunch of #### for going to teach Bucs, but then again I think they knew my position on things and it probably wasn't worth the effort.

I think in 85 and 86, Ron hess and DaveGambal did stuff with Westshore, then Steve F took over in 87 and 88. 89 Dan took over, and I know this may anger some, but really, 89-97 doesn't happen without Dan.

It is what it is....he was energetic, and went at it with a vengeance! Didn't recall Filipelli doing it, but it doesn't surprise me that I didn't remember...

I never held any animosity towards people that went elsewhere...When I first joined, Mom and Pop Rohrbach had a son in Bucs.....it doesn't get any closer than that! I knew a few guys in Bucs that marched Westshore years earlier...In fact Skee was one, and if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have gotten AS into the activity... My second year, Smoothie went over, mainly because of his mom, who was a HUGE fan (and IIRC was one of the first females in the corps when they opened it up) And I had friends in a whole lot of other corps...Heck, when Bobby Gibson started coming down from Rochester, I don't recall a lot of those guys giving him grief...in fact, that's how I got to know a lot of those guys!

I just thought that in 84 it was cool to see all these guys I marched with at one time or another marching in different corps, Poletti in Bush, Chip and Dave in Sky...it was all good ! :thumbup:/>

Edited by Jaminbenb

Someone mentioned how Mark conducted beat one on every beat.

That wasn't that uncommon in that era, in fact I used to do it myself until I was schooled correctly in college because most DM of the era did something similar at one time or another in the show.

In fact if you watched most Quebec Corps DMs, and they do/did exactly that. And, mark time on the podium as well. Maurice (sorry I don't know his last name and should, (Peashey, Tony, maybe Fran would know) (Les Dips, later with Rochester Crusaders, later with Les Dynamiques) was the archetype of that Quebec style. I can imitate it pretty well. Start conducting beat one every beat at about 160,, high step the mark time, yell "UN, DEUX, TROI, GO!!!!", and the corps goes flying.

Always loved the PQ corps, Ambassadeurs, Allouetes, Les Odysee, Offensive Lions, Les Chats, Les Eclipse, L'Insolite, my fave was Les Metro, whose hornline was over the top white-hot- plasma aggressive and played some good stuff.

They have their own equivalent of DCP in French of course, a friend from PQ found it for me, much the same as we are, just different language. I might start bugging them politely to see of there are any videos extant besides some of the L'Insolite stuff, and a clip of Offensive Lions in 79 in a standstill concert, yes, with the 8 tonal Basses and the Quads.

And as for the whole traitor ####, fill in the blanks because it was nothing more than #### to do it- I know the peeps who said it ###### me off, enough I'll just let the cuss editor do its thing here.

IIRC, I have my guesses who those morons were, and I don't think I ever got along with those clowns/cretins/bungholes anyway. I think one of them in particular, I eventually got even with, that's another story I will not go into.

Look. The corps went under. Those who wanted to continue to perform at a high level HAD to go somewhere else. Anyone with two frikkin brain cells to rub together can figger that out for God's sake.

I went back because I was on Summer break from WCU, bored for the summer, Dan called me after the Carlisle show, and Boom and I figured, What the heck, it sounded like a fun challenge. I myself had more fun than 83, I would think many of us who did the gig would agree. I still remember Boom grilling at Frank Magel's the one rehearsal and me nearly killing myself on Frank's mini-bike. Was cool. Grabbed my bugle, rode up to horn practice on the mini bike, hit the brake, locked the front wheel up and ended up tumbling down the hill that was Frank's front yard, bugle in hand. I could laugh about it than, and it's STILL funny. I should have been paid for that stunt.

For anyone to hold anything against anyone from Westshore anything at all for them wanting to move on and perform with a top end group in 1984 needs their head examined and a DNA/chromosome check for obvious reasons. Most of those people that did go were and are my friends. Period. It offended and still offends me to hear that crap about them.

And the peeps who were that way, I haven't seen them on DCP. Prolly because they don't understand this thing called the internet because they don't have the brains.

Hmm. I guess I spoke my mind on THAT. :satisfied: Have to go to work!

yeah Steve was the percussion caption head in 87 and 88.88 was an upgrade from 87, but 89 was a big jump. winning ex at finals

• Like 1

Always loved the PQ corps, Ambassadeurs, Allouetes, Les Odysee, Offensive Lions, Les Chats, Les Eclipse, L'Insolite, my fave was Les Metro, whose hornline was over the top white-hot- plasma aggressive and played some good stuff.

Same here, W.

Metropolitans had some killer high-energy shows during that period, 1991-94. You're right on the money about their horn line... super-aggressive.

Same here, W.

Metropolitans had some killer high-energy shows during that period, 1991-94. You're right on the money about their horn line... super-aggressive.

I was on the 50 right under the GE judges at 92 prelims. They physically knocked me back and I grabbed the rail on their first big hit in Explosion. Sweet baby Jesus, Les Metro could PLAY when they had to.

Also liked their '93 (I think) Program "The Winner's Soul", which used Interstellar Suite for the music. They were smokin' when I saw them do that show.