The history of the Westshoremen

I remember Barnum in 96.....before they announced the scores, they announced some captions. We weren't fully paying attention as we had just come off the field and it was DM only.

but when they announced Chris Garrett had beaten Jimmy for DM....at Barnum.....we knew something was up.

then they announced scores and holy ####....we won Barnum! At that point we didn't realize we were that good.

3rd best drum corps related hang over in my life....that of course was added to by the parade

Yeah...that's right! Forgot about them! :thumbup:/>/>

I'm sure I missed others as well...

Think it was 1985 retreat we could see Terry and WSM were cheering for him.

And I was wondering "How come HE doesn't get #### for not being with us?". :rolleyes:

I remember Barnum in 96.....before they announced the scores, they announced some captions. We weren't fully paying attention as we had just come off the field and it was DM only.

but when they announced Chris Garrett had beaten Jimmy for DM....at Barnum.....we knew something was up.

then they announced scores and holy ####....we won Barnum! At that point we didn't realize we were that good.

3rd best drum corps related hang over in my life....that of course was added to by the parade

That parade was a be-yatch! 84 since I was in the pit, I didn't have to march...so I'm in jeans (why?) and a SCV t-shirt, pushing a hand truck with a water cooler on it...about 1/2 way through the parade, one of the cymbal ladies takes a nose dive and since the corps was playing Central Park (got another story about that song, Fran) the snare line needed cymbals for hi-hat and ride stuff...so I got employed to carry cymbals! :blink:/> AND of course I was stuck in the middle since I didn't have a uniform on, and I got ROBBIE! :doh:/> Dude had some nasty chops and my arms were sore for a few weeks after that!

EDIT: AND the cymbals I got stuck carrying were 20" Zildjian K's! HOLY CRAP THEY WERE HEAVY!

OK...Central Park story...(and this proves I listened to Sun :music:/> ) Listen to Reading 1984, and the bongo part in the beginning to Central Park... And listen to Sun '80 (that was me :ph34r:/>)(no one caught on)

Edited by Jaminbenb

And I was wondering "How come HE doesn't get #### for not being with us?". :rolleyes:/>/>

Yeah....really :huh:/>

:tongue:/>

Ahhh...it was probably because I was with Reading, and both corps hated each other for various reasons... and Westshore were always friends with the Cabs...I remember hanging at their Legion a few times over the years! (and being forced to drink....yuck....Budweiser)

Edited by Jaminbenb

OK...Central Park story...(and this proves I listened to Sun :music: Listen to Reading 1984, and the bongo part in the beginning to Central Park... And listen to Sun '80 (that was me :ph34r:(no one caught on)

Central Park was a cool tune for us in 1980. Good traveling music.

The song that absolutely sucked that year for us was a tune called "Alone."

Appropriately named, considering the lack of audience response for that song. :tongue:

Central Park was a cool tune for us in 1980. Good traveling music.

The song that absolutely sucked that year for us was a tune called "Alone."

Appropriately named, considering the lack of audience response for that song. :tongue:/>

I always liked that show....Crown Imperial (always reminded me of Crown Royal :blink: ) was a cool tune...We seemed to be with you guys a lot that year... we stayed neck and neck for the most part...but in the end the freaking birds beat you.....just checked Corpsreps, and didn't realize you beat us at prelims, and we got you at finals?? (probably the dang birds that threw ya's) :rolleyes:

Yeah....really :huh:/>/>

:tongue:/>/>

Ahhh...it was probably because I was with Reading, and both corps hated each other for various reasons... and Westshore were always friends with the Cabs...I remember hanging at their Legion a few times over the years! (and being forced to drink....yuck....Budweiser)

LOL - same with Wally before he came back in 1978. It was "gripe, gripe... guys at Reading.. gripe... gripe... Hey Wally how ya doin'.... friggin' guys at Reading..."

And I was wondering "How come HE doesn't get #### for not being with us?". rolleyes.gif

because of who he wasn't marching with

because of who he wasn't marching with

Yep....Funny thing about all those years was the whole "I hate _______ " stuff. Not so much because people were hating on us, but over the years except for a few different reasons the hate of other corps that people had... Yeah, once we were on the field and competing it was "all for us none for you", but once we got off the field, I was a fan again... I always loved Sun, I a;ways loved watching Sky, the Canadian corps were fun to watch, I liked them before that, but in 84 I became a huge Bush fan! Being in the pit we were always at the field long before we had to go on schlepping the gear, and it seemed that I got to watch them just about every dang show...and heck, I got to know their corps director because he played in THEIR pit! :tongue: (Jay, if I remember correctly) But even though I wasn't a Cab's fan or a Hurcs fan, I always seemed to know SOMEONE In those corps? Heck, even in the years I marched Westshore, I was friends with a bunch of people in Reading...heck Skee was my high school drum instructor, so...

But 79 we got the infamous letter from Hurcs dis-inviting us from their show, so yeah, we had a reason to hate on them for a while, (well and how they stole 1981 finals....but that's a grumble for another day)(and I think I told Fran the story when I said "Yeah, Sun got screwed" at a Bucs practice...whoops) But a few years later, whatever....

• Like 1

Know I used to get a few hairy eyeballs when I'd buy pins from the corps we were competing against in the 70s. Think it was Bucknell when someone (forget who) bounced me about standing at another corps souvie table in uniform. "But we're trying to beat them". "Yeah, and I collect pins and this is the only time I can buy 'em, so what?". Kicker was standing at retreat whit a pin or two attached to my t-shirt under the uniform top. Just had to made sure they were far enough away from each other that they didn't clang together when we marched. :tongue:

Looking at the collection now I can almost pick out which pins those were and how PO'ed I'd be if I missed getting them.