The history of the Westshoremen

That 1995 corps... when we saw them setting up on stage at the Harrisburg indoor show that spring, we didn't quite know what to expect... except that the corps was definitely a lot bigger than the previous few seasons at the Forum gig.

Then came the opening notes... and we realized right away that 'Shore was not gonna have to fight for a finalist spot that year.  LOL. 

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That 1995 corps... when we saw them setting up on stage at the Harrisburg indoor show that spring, we didn't quite know what to expect... except that the corps was definitely a lot bigger than the previous few seasons at the Forum gig.

Then came the opening notes... and we realized right away that 'Shore was not gonna have to fight for a finalist spot that year.  LOL. 

and yet on that date, we had many ringers filling out the stage. I was only supposed to do Serenade. we were 8 snares, 4 tenors til June, then down to 7 and 3, ended 6 and 2. bass line finally set in May, then literally 45 minutes before the combined DCA/DCE show at Allentown, bass 2 got hit by a car crossing Hamilton Blvd. Idiot said the M word. Served him right.  Took 2 weeks to get the new guy...who, LOL was #2 on stage at Serenade into the show....judges were laughing at Rochester as Deb kept counting drill sets, turns etc out for him to help him.

If Cabs hadn't been such a beast, could we have gone worst to first? maybe.

But I know this...at retreat, when the percussion captions came up, no one breathed. After so many close calls ( ill die saying we were robbed in 90), finally.....plus we got Dan to give up the middle name. After our years of superstition with the number between 3 and 5, how many pictures did the photographer want...yep, that many.

drumming in the lot after with a beer on my drum after retreat....priceless.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and yet on that date, we had many ringers filling out the stage.

Wow... that I did not know.  All I remember is thinking "this is a lot better than '94."  Quite frankly, after '94 the corps had nowhere to go but up. LOL

I was working weekends at that time in 1995, so we got to the Forum just in time for a quick dinner at Strawberry Square and the show. Didn't catch any of the rehearsal/warmup stuff outside. So 'Shore that night was a very pleasant surprise.

FYI, a tribute evening for John Arietano is being planned for Saturday, September 23, at a K of C hall in central NJ... the Woodbridge Township area

When I get more details, I'll pass them along.

I know that's probably a tough weekend for you guys involved with the fall band season... but once I post details, if you could pass them along to anyone from Screech's era with Westshore who might be interested in going, it would be appreciated!!!  I'll also post the details on the Westshoremen FB page as soon as I can.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:45 AM, Fran Haring said:

Wow... that I did not know.  All I remember is thinking "this is a lot better than '94."  Quite frankly, after '94 the corps had nowhere to go but up. LOL

I was working weekends at that time in 1995, so we got to the Forum just in time for a quick dinner at Strawberry Square and the show. Didn't catch any of the rehearsal/warmup stuff outside. So 'Shore that night was a very pleasant surprise.

the 94 show definitely was an acquired taste...scared many away.

In early october there was a meeting at the Embers in Carlisle...former directors, staff, members.....do we keep it going. the answer was no.

then Jerry stepped up and said hell no we aint dead.

For all that has been said about Jerry, will be said about Jerry and could be said about Jerry.....when i popped by that first camp in 95, you could see people did the leg work to get bodies out, new and some old faces, and it kept growing. In fact it never stopped because we literally had the first camp for 96 in Mid October. It was just a beast that would not slow down.

then, came reality. After 96......we did it. A lot of people with a lot of years in got it, and wanted out. The decision to start the junior corps just added to it, and the rest of 97 piled on as the year ticked away. From top of the heap to bottom of the pile that fast.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:43 PM, Fran Haring said:

FYI, a tribute evening for John Arietano is being planned for Saturday, September 23, at a K of C hall in central NJ... the Woodbridge Township area

When I get more details, I'll pass them along.

I know that's probably a tough weekend for you guys involved with the fall band season... but once I post details, if you could pass them along to anyone from Screech's era with Westshore who might be interested in going, it would be appreciated!!!  I'll also post the details on the Westshoremen FB page as soon as I can.

maybe they can send me to north jersey that day. we only have like 50 bands there now

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe they can send me to north jersey that day. we only have like 50 bands there now

The band season is one reason why this event is being held on a "flex schedule" that day...... between noon and 6 PM, people are invited to come and go as they please, whatever time is best for them. The main organizer told me it might give some folks with band commitments a chance to come by.

Here's the updated info I posted on several FB group pages:

FYI, for anyone who knew longtime drum corps arranger, teacher, and performer John "Screech" Arietano:

There's going to be a "Celebration Of Life" for John Saturday, September 23, at the Avenel Knights of Columbus hall in Avenel, NJ (Woodbridge Township, in central NJ).

The plans are still being firmed up, but the event is scheduled to run from noon until 6 PM that day... very informal, people can drop in when they have some time, and leave when they need to. Basically to share memories/stories about John, and see some old friends. Also, folks from some of the corps John worked with are considering putting together small music ensembles to honor him with a tune or two.

When I get more details about how to RSVP and so forth, I'll share them as soon as possible.

Speaking of '96 and John, the one thing I do know is John was a clutch performer at Finals weekend. Period. I watched him in '81 live as a kid, blew my mind. Watched that '96 video, still blew my mind. There are others that might have some more fame/notoriety who can and could bring it hard, but Man- you could count on him to come through and in spades.

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Speaking of '96 and John, the one thing I do know is John was a clutch performer at Finals weekend. Period. I watched him in '81 live as a kid, blew my mind. Watched that '96 video, still blew my mind. There are others that might have some more fame/notoriety who can and could bring it hard, but Man- you could count on him to come through and in spades.

When I was with Sunrisers, we'd be amazed at some of the notes he could hit. For better or worse.  :tongue: In all seriousness, almost always for the better!!!  At rehearsals, to lighten the mood every now and then when he was in the soprano line he would play parts from other sections... lead bari, lower soprano, 2nd mello, etc... heck, he wrote the stuff, so he certainly knew all the parts. LOL.

IMO, his best "in the stratosphere" solo work ever was at 1976 DCA Finals with Sun, in particular during the "Old Man River" concert tune. He was absolutely off the hook that night. To date, on my short list of best drum corps soloist performances I've ever heard.