The history of the Westshoremen

Looking at the pic and left hand position on the horn players are all over the place. Guessing piston/rotor horns but that left hand would stay with the rotor. And hair like W says I'd say 70s or some time but who..... Wonder if I post on FB.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Looking at the pic and left hand position on the horn players are all over the place. Guessing piston/rotor horns but that left hand would stay with the rotor. And Hair stuff like says I'd say 70s or some time but who..... Wonder if I post on FB.

Hard to say...it was just a surprise when I saw it...never saw that one before...

Same here.... have some of the DCW old show CDs and some of their pics on the cases are interesting but was told they don't have good pics for lot of the lesser known corps for certain eras. Sent them a 60s Lancers pic once but no idea if it was used. LOL have a CD and pic had a close up Boys of 76 and they were not on the CD. I forget, was this from a CD for sale? If so who was listed.

PS posted on FB but no hits.... if no hits ever then probably a Sr corps as that group is Jr corps oriented. Just say "DCI" and watch the crap being thrown....

LOL 30s thru 70s group W.... and consensus sez Cardinals of Beverly, MA (Jr) who must have had a bunch of unis over the years.

Once in a while on this group I'll ask what is the present status of sponsors on corps DCI "killed". Look at Harrisburg to see where I am going with that. Or how did DCI "kill" so many Sr corps. Usually get crickets as some don't want to see how rising costs did a lot of bad.

Well, it was bunch of things in the stew that started bumping off so many corps.

Competition got better

Competitive scholastic programs supplanted many of these corps

Rising costs for travel, staff, etc.

The National Touring model can't be blamed as much as it gets blamed. Most of the corps were killed off while there were still regional organizations like DCE, DCM, ODCA, FAMQ (hope I got the Quebec one right), Garden State where you could go to local contests

Problems with many of the sponsoring organizations- the sponsors like the Boys and Girls Clubs, the CYO, the PAL, the WFW and AL posts- they just didn't have that kind of money to toss in the bucket anymore.

Corps going co-ed IMHO killed off all of the all-girl organizations as much as any monetary issues- that accounts for the Mello-Dears, the Bon-Bon Girls, the Ventures, and St. Ignatius alone... (Les Chats became the co-ed Connexion Quebec and went on for a season or two and then folded...)

It also just got evolved where it wasn't as easy to take kids off the street, train them, and put something competitive out there. :satisfied:

The trophies are back with the historical society. Pic on Facebook of Dad with 78 AL and me with 96

• Like 1

Well, it was bunch of things in the stew that started bumping off so many corps.

Competition got better

Competitive scholastic programs supplanted many of these corps

Rising costs for travel, staff, etc.

The National Touring model can't be blamed as much as it gets blamed. Most of the corps were killed off while there were still regional organizations like DCE, DCM, ODCA, FAMQ (hope I got the Quebec one right), Garden State where you could go to local contests

Problems with many of the sponsoring organizations- the sponsors like the Boys and Girls Clubs, the CYO, the PAL, the WFW and AL posts- they just didn't have that kind of money to toss in the bucket anymore.

Corps going co-ed IMHO killed off all of the all-girl organizations as much as any monetary issues- that accounts for the Mello-Dears, the Bon-Bon Girls, the Ventures, and St. Ignatius alone... (Les Chats became the co-ed Connexion Quebec and went on for a season or two and then folded...)

It also just got evolved where it wasn't as easy to take kids off the street, train them, and put something competitive out there. :satisfied:

Heck I just look at the old schedules I have, and remember how many shows we had during the year! Last weekend of May you had Danville's exhibition on Saturday, and the Clifton show on Sunday...how many times during the year did you have an over-nighter with a show Saturday night, and one Sunday afternoon? Or even some exhibition somewhere? I see the schedules NOW, and feel bad for the corps because they only get a third of the contests that we ever had! Almost doesn't seem worth it!

I also remember how many local shows we had, too...Hershey, Mechanicsburg,Carlisle, Scranton, Lewisburg, Reading...my parents got to see me several times during the season, as well as prelims and finals...

People had ways of making money for their corps, and they were pretty self sustaining...ok, maybe some had help from their local legion or something, but still..there was a lot of work for everyone!

One thing that I noticed at about the time I was getting out of the whole teaching thing, was that the kids just weren't as into it as they were when we were young, and into it... the kids just had a "my parent's want me to do this" attitude, and as it got to the point where even getting a grade for band was getting eliminated, it got even worse in some places.

The trophies are back with the historical society. Pic on Facebook of Dad with 78 AL and me with 96

Do they have them on a display? Or are they just in some back room?

Heck I just look at the old schedules I have, and remember how many shows we had during the year! Last weekend of May you had Danville's exhibition on Saturday, and the Clifton show on Sunday...how many times during the year did you have an over-nighter with a show Saturday night, and one Sunday afternoon? Or even some exhibition somewhere? I see the schedules NOW, and feel bad for the corps because they only get a third of the contests that we ever had! Almost doesn't seem worth it!

I also remember how many local shows we had, too...Hershey, Mechanicsburg,Carlisle, Scranton, Lewisburg, Reading...my parents got to see me several times during the season, as well as prelims and finals...

People had ways of making money for their corps, and they were pretty self sustaining...ok, maybe some had help from their local legion or something, but still..there was a lot of work for everyone!

One thing that I noticed at about the time I was getting out of the whole teaching thing, was that the kids just weren't as into it as they were when we were young, and into it... the kids just had a "my parent's want me to do this" attitude, and as it got to the point where even getting a grade for band was getting eliminated, it got even worse in some places.

One of the big sells DCA has for a lot of HS kids is just that, Ben. "Would you like to march somewhere where everyone wants to be there and Mommy and Daddy aren't making half the band do it and another large group of them don't care?" I see the lights go on when I tell them that.

Less show sponsors, more complicated shows, and Indoor causing the Guards and Percussion sections to get a later start has also had its effect on the amount of contests, Ben. Now, you have to treat every contest as a serious one. No blown-off performances. We could afford to crap the bed at an early show or two when we had 10-13 competitions to compete at. Not anymore.

• Like 1