The history of the Westshoremen

I'd like to know what our Fairfax, VA July 4th parade/exhibition brought in...If anything Hershman probably pulled in a decent amount! I think when we did the Carlisle fireworks, that was just free use of their stadium for an entire day...

When Larry decided after 83 he was done the corps was 8 grand in the red. That was a lot then

Heard it was significant...which was why he "had to sell" but didn't know the amount.... That was in an overheard conversation when I was working with Carlisle...

Warehouse until the need to display happens

So no display in some case in some "office"?

He was big with nja

Yeah.... I remember hearing the name way back...but never knew 99% of the judges back in those "daze"

Heh... 1981 and '82, we had an exhibition around July 4th weekend. We were hired by publisher/Mets owner Nelson Doubleday to play at a country club on Long Island.... he either owned the club or was a member, and it was basically a cookout/party for his friends.

We did our full drill down on a field, while all the rich muckity-mucks were up on the hill watching us. Most, if not all of them, were drunk. :tongue: So basically, they had no idea what was going on below. And we took full advantage of that, screwing around when we could get away with it during the performance. I seem to remember at least a couple of our horn players switching drill spots, stuff like that. LOL.

Whatever ... it was a nice paycheck for the corps!!!

I remember marching down the fairway at Hershey for the Lady's Keystone Open, then being given beer on our way back to the truck

• Like 1

Heard it was significant...which was why he "had to sell" but didn't know the amount.... That was in an overheard conversation when I was working with Carlisle...

So no display in some case in some "office"?

Yeah.... I remember hearing the name way back...but never knew 99% of the judges back in those "daze"

They have mountains of stuff to display so until we need to be bragged about, no need to display

I remember marching down the fairway at Hershey for the Lady's Keystone Open, then being given beer on our way back to the truck

Yeah, that was always a nice Sunday!!!

• Like 1

free beer on the way back to the truck was always good

• Like 1

One big reason I liked marching the Barnum Festival parade... heck, it was the only parade I enjoyed marching...

During the frequent stops along the route, if we played a tune for the folks watching us, they'd give us drinks and food. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

I just remember the one year when we got back to Hershey High's parking lot, there was a small pickup truck filled with ice and beer!!

I also remember one year (I don't think it was corps related, though) that Laura Davies was flirting with me at Your Place! :blink:

I just remember the one year when we got back to Hershey High's parking lot, there was a small pickup truck filled with ice and beer!!

I also remember one year (I don't think it was corps related, though) that Laura Davies was flirting with me at Your Place! :blink:

The pro golfer Laura Davies?

The pro golfer Laura Davies?

Yeah.... I wasn't aware that the LKO was in town, and I was standing ready to leave with a few friends at a Your Place while someone was hitting the men's room...and bumped into this rather "thick" lady coming in and said "excuse me" she said (with a British-like accent) "no problem, anytime!" and winked at me! I just smiled and kept going....never realized that it was her until after we got into my friends car and saw one of the "LKO" vehicles that one of the local car dealers supplies...and my one friend said "I THINK THAT WAS LAURA DAVIES THAT WINKED AT YOU?!?!?!" And we're pretty sure it was!